What's This Soldier's Captured Pistol?

Charlie Flick

Charlie Flick

I ran across this pic and thought it interesting.  This First Army soldier has not only captured a German fighter plane he got a pistol to go with it!  I don't have any where or when on the image but I will guess that it is an end-of-the-war photo taken at an overrun Luftwaffe airfield.  

My guess on the pistol is that it is a French Ruby, but there were so many small European auto pistols around that looked somewhat similar that my guess could be way off.  Anybody have a better guess?

And how about the aircraft?  A FW-190?

Regards,

Charlie

First Army Soldier with pistol and German Fighter.jpg

The Ruby is probably a good guess. One thing that I noticed is that the rear portion of the slide on your mystery gun (I cannot remember the exact term at the moment) appears to make almost a 90* degree angle down, which would rule out many guns such as the Walter where the back portion of the slide is more angled. I wonder if there is a German gun that might fit that profile also since he is posing next to a German plane. 

Nicely composed photo... if you notice the camera was positioned to capture the crosses on the wing, fuselage and the swastika on the tail.  Too bad we don't have a full photo of the aircraft.

pararaftanr2
14 hours ago, gwb123 said:

Nicely composed photo... if you notice the camera was positioned to capture the crosses on the wing, fuselage and the swastika on the tail.  Too bad we don't have a full photo of the aircraft.

We do:

Me-109.jpg

Charlie Flick

Thanks for all of the comments, guys.  It is fun trying to figure out these little mysteries.

Charlie

Doctorofwar

Great photos- I’ll weigh in on the pistol ID-

My money is it is a Ruby as some have said already, or if not then Unique model 17-

the profile is a little off for a Femaru M37 and it is definitely not a Sauer 38h due to the shape of the slide.

photos- Ruby first, Unique second.

8F219F90-DEDD-43FC-81DD-E719F5A602C7.jpeg

571ACE1D-757F-4CBD-971B-98E24026F16D.jpeg

Doctorofwar

I can’t make it out on my phone, but if you can see the curve or lack there of of the slide serrations that would be a giveaway.