Memorial Day Greetings from NJ

DWErhard

I am grateful to be approved to this Forum, especially on this day when we remember our fallen heroes.

My sisters and I are doing research into our families heritage and specifically their involvement in the Revolutionary War, Civil War, Spanish American War and WWII. I will attempt to find the correct forum for my ancestors involvement in each.  I have documentation for some of their service.

Most recently I have been interested in finding more information about my great grandfather who came to the US from Finland as a young man and receiving his citizenship papers on Sept 18, 1888. 

He had quite a career on the sea, crewing on a steamer owned by James Gordon Bennett, Jr and other yachts before joining the US Navy. He transported troops to Quanica, Puerto Rico during the Spanish American War while on the USS Columbia.

As I said he had quite a career and I have a good deal of his documentation, his sword, and flag.

I am looking forward to using the forums here to share his story and hopefully additional information about him and other family members.

Best Regards, Diane

manayunkman

Looking forward to the story and the stuff that tell us about this man.

Welcome to the forum hope you catch the collecting bug.

Charles Albert Wilson was on the USS Mohican from 20Oct1887 to 15Aug1888. While the ship was harbored in Honolulu, he was an oarsman on the 'Daring" and raced against the Hawiaan "Hanakeoki" on 28Dec1887. Apparently the American sailors won. The documentation I have is: 1)A newspaper clipping of Charles' retirement from the Navy referencing his participation in the race while he was stationed on the Mohican.  2)A poem about the race published by the Hawaiian Gazette  Publishing Co. 3)An article in the Gazette referencing a party hosted by the King for the men on the USS Juanita which is referenced in the poem. 4) His log book which puts him on the Mohican during that time. 5) A rejection letter dated 21Jul1887 from Edwin Denby of the Free Press, Detroit Michigan addressed to Charles A Wilson, regretting they couldn't publish the poem.  6) Photos from the boat race which includes a Charles A Wilson. 

Does anyone have additional information about this race or the time that the USS Michigan was in Honolulu? Thank you.

barge race 2.jpg

poem rejection Edwin Denby pg 1.jpg

boat race.jpg

barge_race_party_article.jpg

20200519_102801_resized.jpg