EIB Wear in WW2/Immediate post-war occupation

huntssurplus

huntssurplus

Hello,

Looking for information on the wear of the EIB in WW2/the immediate post-war occupation period (1945-1949). I'm wondering what the qualifications were to earn and wear the EIB, how common was it worn, did non-infantry branch personnel have an opportunity to earn it or still wear it if they no longer were in an infantry unit, and just any general information on its use in the ww2/immediate post-war era.

Thanks

Hunt

DocCollector1441

Well this is just one example, so clearly not conclusive evidence, but a piece of the EIB puzzle nonetheless... I have a grouping to a soldier that earned the EIB in 1945 stateside during the war. Of note that while the EIB was included in his grouping, his documents note the award of the EIB, and I possess his wartime and post-war photo albums, there are zero pictures of him, even those that appear to have been taken after he was awarded the EIB of him wearing it. 

Whether this helps or not, given that it is pure speculation, I think that the EIB did not carry the same clout that it does now. Having served 9 years as a line medic, I have met loads of infantrymen that have earned both the CIB and EIB, but opt to wear the EIB because as one of them said to me once, "to earn the EIB, I had to prove that I was good at my job, to earn the CIB I just had exist under fire." I think during WWII there may have been a stigma attached to the EIB, because there you were an infantryman in the largest conflict in human history and you did not even hear a shot in anger. Again this is just pure conjecture on my part.

huntssurplus
Well this is just one example, so clearly not conclusive evidence, but a piece of the EIB puzzle nonetheless... I have a grouping to a soldier that earned the EIB in 1945 stateside during the war. Of note that while the EIB was included in his grouping, his documents note the award of the EIB, and I possess his wartime and post-war photo albums, there are zero pictures of him, even those that appear to have been taken after he was awarded the EIB of him wearing it. 

Whether this helps or not, given that it is pure speculation, I think that the EIB did not carry the same clout that it does now. Having served 9 years as a line medic, I have met loads of infantrymen that have earned both the CIB and EIB, but opt to wear the EIB because as one of them said to me once, "to earn the EIB, I had to prove that I was good at my job, to earn the CIB I just had exist under fire." I think during WWII there may have been a stigma attached to the EIB, because there you were an infantryman in the largest conflict in human history and you did not even hear a shot in anger. Again this is just pure conjecture on my part.

Interesting, that would make sense. Was the EIB only authorized for wear by infantry soldiers? Also do any of the documents note any requirements for the EIB? Maybe he didn’t wear the EIB chaise he hadn’t received the physical award yet? Where are the photos you have of him taken?

Thanks
Hunt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DocCollector1441

As far as I know the EIB has always only been authorized for wear by infantry soldiers. None of the documents I have for him denote the requirements for the EIB. I would assume he had received the award as all of the pictures were taken stateside in Texas and California.