Paratrooper jump wing opinions

Hello all, looking for some opinions on each one of these pieces for my first set of jump wings. They all seem to be appropriately marked for the period and have the correct roller clasp mechanism. I apologize if some of the photos are small due to restrictions. If there's a way to get higher resolution ones attached please let me know.

All of these wings are priced $100 or less.

Didn't realize I couldn't edit until after the fact.

#1 - "Sterling marked. See pictures for condition. Guaranteed original. "

#2 - "Vintage WW2 US Army paratrooper wings marked STERLING.  Veteran etched his initials "J T M" into the bottom of the backside of the wings.  Hand picked from reputable US dealer at semi-annual militaria show (Ciney) in Europe, years ago.  See pictures."

#3 - Back is making me second guess this one as the wear doesn't match the front. "Don't know much about these wings. Seems like the maker was N.S. Meyer based on my research. I also believe these to be WWII era based on the pin back design. Stamped "STERLING". Any questions please ask!"

#4 - "WW2 Army Airborne Paratrooper - Sterling Silver Stamped ( LOWER RIGHT SIDE ) - Pin Back - Jump Wings. Condition is Used With Light Wear on Canopy Edge, Bottom of Risers and Wing Shoulders."

triplecanopy

The NS Meyer marked badge #3 is a restrike. It is sterling, but not an original as the others are. Meyer dies were used, but if you are looking for an original, I would pass on that one.

By restrike do you mean refinished and then restruck with the appropriate die? Is the big giveaway the newness of the back, the appearance of the marks or a combination of the two?

What would be your pick of the bunch? #1 is firm at $100 from a dealer. #2 and #4 are on eBay. #2 has a Buy It Now price of $85 and #4 expires tomorrow, but currently at $49.99 with no bids.

triplecanopy

I took a look on eBay and there is currently listed: US 1953 ERA 1-E EMBLEM SUPPLY STERLING PARATROOPER JUMP WINGS FAIRLY RARE MAKER 

for $49.99 and it's a BUY IT NOW.  It looks good and is a nice badge. (Not my listing BTW).

That one is post war however. I guess I should have specified in my listing I am looking for WWII only due to my great uncle being in Able Company, 506th PIR of the 101st. 

Cool, thank you very much! What's your opinion of a reasonable price for a standard wing like that just as a generalization?

As an alternative if it happens to get bid up, would #1 or #2 be your second pick?

Disregard the "As an alternative if it happens to get bid up, would #1 or #2 be your second pick?" part since I had a typo in there.

If I wanted to add additional wings besides #2 what would be your pick out of #1 and #4?

triplecanopy

Well, both are very similar. I would pick #1 just based on the photos. You can clearly see it seems to be in good shape.

A little advice. Don't get in a big hurry to buy something without doing some quality research. There is a ton of info right here on the Forum about jump wings. Take a look and learn about these wings and their history. I think you will appreciate them even more when you find the right wings.

You've gotten good advice here, though which wing you should buy is a matter of taste. If I were buying one, I'd buy the one with the initials. The Meyer is a restrike as was previously mentioned. I would tell you the same info as Triplecanopy- be patient. These wings show up.

Allan

I'm asking for some better lit photos, as #1 does seem to be in a bit better condition. Will post if I get them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The term "Wosk Wing" only means that the wing was once inventory in the Wosk store. It has nothing to do with who manufactured the wing. The Wosk store in California did a brisk business with naval and marine personnel as well as any army forces in the area in need of uniforms or insignia. The vast majority of parachute badges would have been issued and sold in Georgia, North Carolina, and other areas where paratroopers were stationed. As has also been said, Harry Wosk sold wings manufactured by several different makers, so a "Wosk wing" can look like more than one specific pattern.

Allan

I keep forgetting you can't edit. The upper left wings are a bit worn down. Negligeable or worth looking at a different pair?

• 2 weeks later...

The ones I decided on cameras. Nice pair in person, good finish.54d9aa7c34758053ce7750d236e052c6.jpg
2af65ca527926b11e3721eaefa034b3c.jpg