Are maker marked wings really worth the extra cost?

akriener

As the title states, I am wondering if maker marked wings justify the extra cost as compared to a basic sterling pin back wing? I am not a hardcore wing collector - still looking for my first pair. Even on some of the other items I collect I'm not overly picky on makers.

Can certain hallmarks be attributed to certain units that most often received wings from maker X? If so, then I could understand paying the premium.

triplecanopy

Sterling silver wings have that extra appeal because they are made of actual silver and not pot metal. There are still ample numbers around, so you should be able to find a set you like. If you collect parachute wings then the challenge is to obtain wings maker marked in order to assemble the different manufacturer's that once made wings during WWII, Korea and Vietnam. I don't know of hallmarks being associated with specific units except perhaps GEMSCO that made custom wings for one unit in the 11th Airborne Division post WWII.

Very interesting! Thank you for sharing. I just have a hard time justifying an extra $100 or more for a marked one, but I guess if that's what you collect then that's what you have to do.

Don't spend the extra money for a maker marked wing unless you are wanting to start collecting the various makers. They will drive you crazy. Certain maker marks will command HUGE premiums.

Allan

I collect enameled NSDAP pins and I feel the heat there. Refuse to pay over $100 USD for one. I find they have more variation in aesthetics than jump wings however so I have 7 different makers currently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is a GREAT collection of wings. There's well over 100 makers of party badges so in a way I do feel your pain haha. Were ovals always worn with the wings on a dress uniform?

Bob Hudson

Maker's marks are brands and certain brands command a premium, just as happens with collectible cars, jewelry, etc.