WWII Marine Suitcase Group: MAG 31

Timberwolf

Timberwolf

Picked up this suitcase group to a Chicago guy. This Marine served with MAG 31, as part of their service group. MOS was a water supply man, and has a interesting certificate from the USMC plumbing and water purification course. The civilian suitcase has some cool vintage USMC decals as well. MAG 31 saw combat on Okinawa.

FC683960-ADEF-487C-83C8-0B572F1AB85A.jpeg

15334CFA-0F78-4015-A6E1-E6B355B3DFC8.jpeg

07BB00B0-35FD-4A00-B1B0-E1A509FB388A.jpeg

485325CC-BC86-4DEC-BCE9-DBD3BE0D20DE.jpeg

Which Marine Air Wing is the patch on the left shoulder? Mag 31 was with 2nd MAW then transferred to 4th MAW during Occupation Japan.

Timberwolf
20 hours ago, Ivydiv said:

Which Marine Air Wing is the patch on the left shoulder? Mag 31 was with 2nd MAW then transferred to 4th MAW during Occupation Japan.

SSI is II MAW

Timberwolf
20 hours ago, Ivydiv said:

SSI is II MAW

19 hours ago, manayunkman said:

Love the suitcase!

Thanks Pete! 

They were with the II MAW on Okinawa before moving to Occupied Japan. I have a named grouping with the tunic having the 4th MAW patch when he came home, and a photo album with Photos on Okinawa as well as Occupied Japan, and Japanese post cards. I had a hard time figuring out the 4th MAW patch until it all came together for me. The suitcase is really neat. Nice grouping. Thanks for posting. Dave

Timberwolf
5 hours ago, Ivydiv said:

They were with the II MAW on Okinawa before moving to Occupied Japan. I have a named grouping with the tunic having the 4th MAW patch when he came home, and a photo album with Photos on Okinawa as well as Occupied Japan, and Japanese post cards. I had a hard time figuring out the 4th MAW patch until it all came together for me. The suitcase is really neat. Nice grouping. Thanks for posting. Dave

Interesting, I’ll have to check if my guy did occupation duty or not. He was discharged in early 46. Would be interested in seeing your grouping as well!