Red Spacer KA-BAR in G.I. Jane Movie

Doctorofwar

Doctorofwar

A random sighting of a Red Spacer KA-BAR...So, I had never seen the movie “G.I. Jane” before and it was on TV so I watched it.  In the last 20minutes or so when they are preparing for the final firefight, one of the SEALs sticks what I thought looked like a well worn Red Spacer USMC KA-BAR knife in the sand while he sets a claymore. A few minutes later the camera cuts back and the viewer gets another look at it when he pulls it out of the ground and runs away.   I’m not here to debate the merits or inaccuracies of a ‘90s action movie but didn’t know if any other students of blades have ever noticed this.  Would be interesting to think that there was at least one in a Hollywood prop room being loaned out for movies.  It’s not everyday you see one of those early KA-BARs and I can’t recall seeing one in any other film.  Google images turned up a still shot of what I’m talking about- you can clearly see the long guard and red spacer behind the guard.

C0805A0B-1C52-4261-87DC-839C4D8C4898.jpeg

Doctorofwar
13 minutes ago, thorin6 said:

Or a red spacer PAL RH 37, both USN and USMC versions.

When you watch the movie the whole knife is visible and it was quick but it looked like a thin pommel of an early KA-BAR.  The taper of the handle, the spacer behind the thin curved guard look KA-BAR to me, but looking at what is visible of the blade profile and fuller it looks a little PAL-ish on second glance.  Either way, an interesting thing to come out of a prop room.  

I have worked in proprooms, Local IATSE for 34 years. 03s , 03a3s, Colt pythons! Never saw a 41 Johnson though, that might have walked home!

Doctorofwar

While walking through a college theater prop room myself in a previous job I spied 2 LW Ruck frames sitting on a shelf collecting dust.  I made a small donation to the drama club and they let me take them.  They now reside in my collection.  

zzyzzogeton

I was a background actor on season 2 of Revolution and learned a lot about TV series, props etc.

The weaponry issued to the "Patriots" (those in the sand colored uniforms) was varied.  The Patriot actors never got the same weapon twice in a row.   I saw a pristine WW2 USN Geneva Forge MK1, several WW2 USN-MK2s/1219C2s (no red spacers however), some in leather sheaths, others in the green fiberglass BM/VP sheaths, M3 knives, a variety of BUCK hunting knives, and some M7 bayonets.  Charlie (played by Tracy Spiradakos) carried a one line Inverted BUCK model 120, a 1960s knife.

I learned that sometimes the prop supply companies are provided with specific requirements and at others, they just supply what  kinda matched the specs.

One Revolution, apparently the specs for the Patriots' knives was - large military knife. 

For the Texas Rangers in the show - they all carried identical 10" blade bowies with lots of brass pins on the handles.   Made in Pakistan.🤢   

For any one else carrying a knife in the show (few and far between), it was "big knife".

Doctorofwar

Interesting- sounds like prop companies could be a gold mine for collectors if they decide to change their inventory or close up shop.  I remember the Stembridge Gun Rental sale when they closed- in that case most of the firearms had been modified and were worth more from their movie/actor associations than for the artifacts they originally were. 

It looks like the same knife that Ray Liotta is seen wearing in the 1995 film Operation Jumbo Drop. Danny Glover's character has a modern kabar upside down on his shoulder strap while Ray's knife is but end up with some frayed 550 cord for a strap.

Doctorofwar
3 hours ago, DRE66 said:

It looks like the same knife that Ray Liotta is seen wearing in the 1995 film Operation Jumbo Drop. Danny Glover's character has a modern kabar upside down on his shoulder strap while Ray's knife is but end up with some frayed 550 cord for a strap.

Good eye- could very well be.

01FE05D5-7689-4CEA-90B5-20E309AB5478.jpeg