Pay Attention to Skip

thorin6

After Skip's last post on an "interesting" M3 on ebay, I thought I would throw this one out.  This is a "what is it" quiz.

The M3 shown here has no manufacturer's markings, and the Ordnance Bomb on the pommel has been removed by stippling over the mark.  Blade is unfinished and in the white.

Looking forward to thoughts.

PartsM3b.jpg.239350366b4d5065e45b29dfc244d886.jpgPartsM3a.jpg.de95b9c4ac33f895334717e5b0f9947e.jpgPartsM3c.jpg.9f2f1fb268fc33b5cc4f171aac6f8e05.jpg

Bill- This is an interesting M3. Here is my "guess-timate" based on what I see. Pommel which has slightly rounded edges, and the Ordinance bomb located beside the tang, reminds me of an Imperial. The leather on the handle is also similar to an Imperial, especially at the guard if you look at how those washers are stacked. What I cannot tell for sure, is if the top washer is a black spacer, or leather. Finally, the 90* back cut on the back of the blade, looks like an Imperial.  My guess, Imperial !    SKIP

Skip,

All of the handle is leather, no plastic.  Not a bad guess, but not there yet.

Bill

Hint, go look at some of my early posts.

Two Fridays ago I was putting away various parts that had accumulated on my desk and realized that I could put together a reasonable rebuild of an M3 knife.  The guard, leather washers, and pommel came from a broken blade M3, and the blade is the one I picked up at an estate sale.  I put them together in two evenings, and mated the knife with a modified M8 scabbard (had hooks added to the canvas hanger).  The handle parts most likely came from a post-war build of left over M3 parts.  Just a fun project that used up some parts that would have ended up in a zip lock bag and thrown in a box.

P5170563.JPG.37e00d63e8b4ccb78f65937b5a891354.JPG

Bill- You did well. My compliments for saving an M3, and building a functional knife.  Thanks for showing us. SKIP