Vietnam War 101st Airborne Field Cap

FT.Monmouth1943

FT.Monmouth1943

Here’s the nicest M1951 field cap I’ve come across. The ear flaps have been cut off, there are master jump wings, a missing LTC rank, and on the back is Vietnamese embroidery of the officers call sign “Shamrock” and “Strike Force 2/502”. This cap belonged to COL (then LTC) Charles J. Shay who was the CO of 2/502nd Infantry. He was a highly decorated officer and had an interesting career spanning from enlisting in the Marines at 16 at the end of WWII to service in Korea and Vietnam. 

- Jakob

2C271051-1BE5-493C-B1A2-9F827AA15225.jpeg

7E48F620-5E56-40A7-8257-DD14EE6EBCFE.jpeg

CC185E34-D5BF-49B0-888B-E8E50DE70CB9.jpeg

D5E2B215-B172-42EA-A6E9-674088F503A3.jpeg

FT.Monmouth1943

Thank you guys! The photo is definitely the icing on the cake. I wonder if the fatigues he’s wearing are floating around. I found it interesting that it appears his jump wings are directly embroidered on the pocket flap.

- Jakob

An officer of his caliber would have that done typically
Imho you should restore the rank with the proper type and thread
It would round out the cap
Just put a note unused cap stating that was done
Owen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

appears he wearing a RANGER tab... this cap is typical of a Patrol Cap if he went through the Course in the 50s and early 60s.THe cap is a signature of the Rangers.

FT.Monmouth1943

I’m pretty sure he went to ranger school around that time. His obituary mentions him being an Airborne Ranger, so I’m pretty sure that’s the tab he has over the 101st patch. He must’ve worn the cap a lot judging by the fading. I’ll probably end up getting a LTC rank sewn on. I wish there was a close-up photo of him wearing the cap to see if the rank is US or Vietnamese made, but since the jump wings are US made I’ll probably end up going with a US made rank unless y’all think otherwise.

- Jakob

If he was promoted in nam then it would probably be a hand embroidered one to replace the old one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk