Airborne Helmet

swag

Covid-19 has been a real bummer, but the bright side is I've had time to go through my collection. Found this M1 airborne helmet in a long ignored box, thought I'd break it out and give it some light. I think it's WW2 or maybe Korea era.

Kevin

340-1.jpg

340-2.jpg

340-3.jpg

340-4.jpg

340-5.jpg

340-6.jpg

Liner maker mark looks like "D 27" with a W in a circle, Westinghouse I think. Heat stamp on the shell is "1104D."

340-7.jpg

340-8.jpg

340-9.jpg

340-10.jpg

340-11.jpg

340-12.jpg

Okay unrelated to the helmet but I am curious about the ZSU 23-4 model in the background that looks like a huge scale.  Is it a model or a recognition model or what.  

huntssurplus

Nice helmet. Especially with the later war heat stamp still with the OD3 chin straps. late WW2 manufactured, most likely Korea used. Might have seen some action at the very end of WW2.

Hunt

thatrandomguy

Was going to mention, that’s a pretty high numbered heat stamp for a front seam shell. How interesting is that? I could be wrong though.

huntssurplus
2 hours ago, thatrandomguy said:

Was going to mention, that’s a pretty high numbered heat stamp for a front seam shell. How interesting is that? I could be wrong though.

It is, but not super uncommon. While the relative date of the seam moving to the back is November 1944 if I remember correctly, it wouldn't be unheard of for manufacturers to continue production a little bit later. Not sure exactly when 1104D would date to, but I believe it would probably be late 1944.

Hunt

Hi

depending on how detailed you heat stamp chart is, 1100 is the start of 1945 on mine 👌

Nice Westinghouse Liner with great net and pot! I'd take that for a neat WW2 helmet even if it may not have seen an overseas theatre! :)

Cheers

JEB

Some time ago I started looking at all the M1Cs that were popping up, and they all seemed to have heat lot numbers in the 1000-1100 range, and varied from FS/SS rims to FS/MS rims, to RS/SS rims, and to RS/MS rims (I looked at about 12-15 helmets over a two month period).  Wish I'd written down what I found but it was mainly for my amusement and edification. Not even sure what heat lot my M1C, but it's in the same range and has a stainless steel/rear seam rim.

Some time ago I started looking at all the M1Cs that were popping up, and they all seemed to have heat lot numbers in the 1000-1100 range, and varied from FS/SS rims to FS/MS rims, to RS/SS rims, and to RS/MS rims (I looked at about 12-15 helmets over a two month period).  Wish I'd written down what I found but it was mainly for my amusement and edification. Not even sure what heat lot my M1C, but it's in the same range and has a stainless steel/rear seam rim.