101st and 82nd AB Ike jackets with zips?

David B

Hi guys,

These two Ike jackets belong to a friend of mine and I'm posting them for review on his behalf.

He asked my opinion about the addition of the zips and poppers on the jackets but I'm afraid I have no idea.

Are these jackets legit or postwar made up?

Many thanks in advance.

Dave

IMG-20200518-WA0001.jpg.1b5fc64cc7b04d448b01871fe40ea0bd.jpgIMG-20200518-WA0003.jpg.a5f2ad8100aa5a759d85c4bcf3c9bf1e.jpg

Brian Dentino

Cannot see any of your pictures but I can tell you that it is not all that uncommon to find an Ike that has button down pockets and a zippered front.  These were done to ensure a spiffy look on leave or for the return home.  No pictures so can't really tell anything on age at all.  Many were post war altered in Germany and Britain for the big triumphant return of the victors to keep that fresh squared away look to their uniform.

Thanks for the reply Brian. Yes I uploaded the photos yesterday literally just before the forum crashed, I had time to check the photos were showing and then the forum went down. I'll try and upload them again.

huntssurplus

Would like to add onto what Brain said, very common for Ike jackets to have zippers and such added on in the post-war era. Especially in Germany. I have a few Ike jackets with zippers in my collections as well. I believe they had button down pockets. Would need pictures to verify authenticity. Hopefully you can repost them!

Hunt

Agree all part of the custom tailoered Ike jackets.Many even removed the pocket buttons and had them sewn shut so they laid flatter and looked sharp for duty and parages.Even seen shoulder straps sewn down and the waist buckles removed during the alterations.Im guessing your zipper is German made?

If you have more photos add them again as it seems they wont appear due to the current upgrade.

Thanks for the replies guys! 

The photos have reappeared for me, can everyone else see them?

As I look at the two jackets, here is what I see- the 101st A/B Ike jacket is a modified M1951 Ike jacket. The patch appears to be a type 10 "scribble eye," which was most likely post WWII manufacture. The oval of the 326th Airborne Engineer Battalion is one that I would call "Vietnam era" though it is quite plausible that it was made in the late 1950's when the 101st came back on line as an airborne division.

The 82nd looks like an Occupation era modified Ike jacket. The insignia all appears to be WWII vintage. How long it has all been together is a question that I cannot answer, but all in all, I like it as being original to the period.

I hope this helps.

Allan 

I agree with Allan. They are both nice uniforms that appear original to the period they represent. The 82nd probably dates from the early German occupation period (1946 ish). Zippers, snaps etc are common on the early post war Ikes. The heavy hooks on the 101st attached the jacket to the trousers to give an even sharper look. The zipper on the 82nd Ike appears to be a period "Crown" version and would be correct for the WWII era. The sequence of small numbers stamped in the lining is also a sign that you are looking at an airborne uniform. I have seen this on many others and I believe it is a laundry stamp from the Fort Bragg area. My gut feeling is that the pin on insignia is not original to the 82nd Ike, but it displays nicely and looks period-correct.

Thank you so much for the very detailed replies guys, I really do appreciate it!

I have some more interior photos, I'll see if I can post them.

IMG-20200518-WA0013.jpg.fd63a99e73bbd532f332d25454cbbdee.jpg

huntssurplus

I've seen that sequence of small numbers on non-airborne uniforms. But I have seen it on multiple Airborne uniforms as well. I'm guessing it was used at multiple bases more likely. Not sure how exactly to read it though.

Hunt

Brian Dentino

I would concur with Allan and Kadet.  The 101st is likely late 50's era with the 82nd being post war/occupation period.  Nice modified Ike's and a good couple in their own right, but definitely not pre-1945.  Glad the pictures came up to see them though!!!!

To all that have taken the time to reply I thank you, it's very much appreciated and a great help. I've learnt a lot!

I shall direct my friend and owner of the Ikes to this thread.

Thanks again guys!