Small Grouping to T5 Posey - 447th AAA AW (D-Day - Bastogne)

USMarineCorps

USMarineCorps

Hi all,

It's been a while since I have posted on this forum, but I have been collecting in the meantime.

I recently found this small medal and insignia grouping on Ebay at a very attractive price. 

Although this is post-WWII (from the GRACO GI hallmark I would think 70's - 80's) government reissue set, it is the story behind them that got me hooked.

T5 Robert Posey landed on Omaha Beach on D-Day + 1 (his unit was actually supposed to land on June 6 but got pushed back until the next day), and served with the A battery, 447th AAA AW.

This battalion was attached to the 110th IR, 28th ID, which operated M16 half-tracks equipped with quad .50s and fought in Normandy, Huertgen, Rhineland, Ardennes (Bastogne), and Central Europe.

At first I was surprised that there was no CIB with the set, but I assume he wasn't eligible for one since his wasn't in an infantry role?

Either way, I thought this was a great, affordable grouping and I wanted to share it with you.

Fred

IMG_8599.jpg

IMG_8601.jpg

IMG_8603.jpg

IMG_8604.jpg

USMarineCorps

Would he have worn the 28th ID SSI? And what collar discs is he wearing in the above picture? Armored Infantry? Thank you in advance for your help.

Posey is wearing Coast Artillery brass as is proper for Anti-Aircraft units in WWII. The shoulder patch that he probably wore was the circular "AA" patch worn by units under the Anti Aircraft Command. Units were attached and detached from larger units all of the time. They typically didn't change shoulder sleeve insignia when doing so as they would have still been assigned to their parent unit.

Allan

USMarineCorps

Just for reference, here's an M16 operated by the 447th AAA (AW) during the battle of the bulge. 

63cb86d705ea56cfd92aeca81d32f0e5.jpg