First M1 Helmet - Help Identify

BryanJ

I’ve never owned an M1 helmet but happened upon this one.  I’ve been reading all the available information about them on the forum, but while I continue  to read up, thought I’d post a few photos and see if you guys can help me out with what it is.  Here’s the history as it was related to me:  The original owner was WWII veteran Tech 5 Frank Miller, radio operator with the 156th Field Artillery Bn., 71st Inf., Reg., 44th Infantry Regiment (obtained from his daughter-in-law).  Front seam, swivel bail.  Paint on front appears to possibly “ZU” which is consistent with the first several letters on the webbing inside the liner.  No rust on helmet, a couple of sweat band keepers missing, and liner chin strap missing.  I might see about replacing, or just leave as Is.  To be 70 plus years old, helmet and line seem to be in good shape.  Please fill in the blanks?

E4391BFB-3C2A-40FE-92BE-AE36E554D18C.jpeg

22 hours ago, BryanJ said:

I’ve never owned an M1 helmet but happened upon this one.  I’ve been reading all the available information about them on the forum, but while I continue  to read up, thought I’d post a few photos and see if you guys can help me out with what it is.  Here’s the history as it was related to me:  The original owner was WWII veteran Tech 5 Frank Miller, radio operator with the 156th Field Artillery Bn., 71st Inf., Reg., 44th Infantry Regiment (obtained from his daughter-in-law).  Front seam, swivel bail.  Paint on front appears to possibly “ZU” which is consistent with the first several letters on the webbing inside the liner.  No rust on helmet, a couple of sweat band keepers missing, and liner chin strap missing.  I might see about replacing, or just leave as Is.  To be 70 plus years old, helmet and line seem to be in good shape.  Please fill in the blanks?

E4391BFB-3C2A-40FE-92BE-AE36E554D18C.jpeg

B19F3FC9-878A-4490-A725-325A7EB2EBD0.jpeg

Not sure why original photos I posted disappeared, but I reposted them.  Comments about helmet?

The Rooster

Looks like a nice front seam swivel loop WW2 helmet and liner.

But everyone needs larger pictures so we can see the details. What brand liner is it?

You can find the brand mark inside the crown.

Need larger images to really see what you have there but from what I can see its a

WW2 hemet and liner.

Stamp inside liner looks like MSA 31.  Sorry about the photos, still trying to figure out how to post them.  

Thanks Gtilt.  I’ve got to start searching for a period correct chin strap for the helmet liner and two keepers for the sweat band.  

huntssurplus

Nice helmet, especially for a first pickup M1! My helmet was much much worse haha! With a name, a story, and some nice markings on the helmet makes this a nice one! Not exactly sure what the "ZU" would be for though?

Hunt