ACH Chinstrap Maker Mismatch Question

AKC123

Probably an odd question. I bought an ACH from a gentleman on eBay a while back. Its an MSA shell and wears a 101st CAB Pathfinder cover. The seller said the original black MSA chinstrap that was on it when he got the helmet was in rough shape so he replaced it with a new gentex strap and a ballistic nape. The label doesn’t have a contract number with date but is a darker green color and if it had a black strap I’m assuming it was an 05-06-07? The Gentex strap is dated 05. So I know it’s no longer original anymore. However I would still at least like it to be “correct”. So does anyone have any experience seeing helmets were maybe guys switched the straps out with another maker? I know one of the RFI’s was to replace the black strap with the foliage strap and add the ballistic nape so is it possible that manufacturers could be mixed? Or did this generally not happen? The revision goggles he said didn’t come with the helmet I just thought they look good so I got them as well. The only thing he changed from the original helmet was the chinstrap and added the nape and goggles supposedly. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks. 

5BCB1CA8-0870-4E56-BCE0-0648F4872E55.jpeg

D240CC65-803E-48C8-8952-4C04D08AED14.jpeg

F6406383-CCDE-435D-8158-DF22C33D1AE8.jpeg

Also the suspension pads are black and I believe 06 MSA’s so I guess original to the helmet. Iv seen Veterans say it wasn’t uncommon at the time to have black pads with the foliage strap before you managed to get all foliage parts. 

thatrandomguy

I'm no expert for these helmets but from what I've noticed, each manufacture of the ACH had a different way of screwing in the buckles for the retention system. If you needed to replace the original retention system, either by replacing only the chinstrap or both chinstrap and buckles, separate retention system kits were available to whoever needed them. You can readily find those replacement chinstraps and buckles with screws on ebay. The replacement buckles and chinstrap were made to be universally compatible with any ACH helmet despite the different manufactures. As for your question, I guess it's possible? But it's such a small thing that I'm not sure if it's ever been documented.

Thanks for the reply. Yea this has a complete gentex strap kit installed so it has the gentex specific mounting screws. I suspected there was no real way to answer but since I’m continually impressed with the knowledge and experience here I figured it was worth a shot. In all likely hood it was not really done I’m sure. Shane the seller removed the original strap. I guess he didn’t understand that a dirty used or even damaged strap is far better than a brand new incorrect strap even if it’s vastly superior function wise. Either way at least it’s a good Representative example. Thanks again 

Bags of replacement chinstraps were are are sold at base cash sales for replacing.  ACH chinstraps get very dirty and look like crap real quick. The replacement kit includes all hardware needed to replace them. At some locations CIF requires old chinstrap assays be replaced with new ones prior to turn in so as to make the helmet serviceable for reissue.  I doubt there is 1 person In military that has any idea who made his/her helmet.

24 minutes ago, Rhscott said:

Bags of replacement chinstraps were are are sold at base cash sales for replacing.  ACH chinstraps get very dirty and look like crap real quick. The replacement kit includes all hardware needed to replace them. At some locations CIF requires old chinstrap assays be replaced with new ones prior to turn in so as to make the helmet serviceable for reissue.  I doubt there is 1 person In military that has any idea who made his/her helmet.

Thanks for the reply. Yea I basically figured it would be too obscure. I actually bought a sealed foliage replacement that were contracted to a manufacturer that never made helmets who I can’t remember the name of. But they were specifically made to be used as replacements. Decided to leave the gentex strap on because it’s a thicker web material and hangs much better for display. Anyway thanks for your input I appreciate it.

Having a different chinstrap isn't a big deal.  Whenever you go to CIF you turn in the components of your helmet, not the assembled lid.  As far as CIF is concerned the manufacturer doesn't matter, as long as it is the correct size.  The same applies when you receive your helmet, it is all components that you have to assemble yourself and which CIF doesn't care what manufacturer they give you.

9 minutes ago, RedLegGI said:

Having a different chinstrap isn't a big deal.  Whenever you go to CIF you turn in the components of your helmet, not the assembled lid.  As far as CIF is concerned the manufacturer doesn't matter, as long as it is the correct size.  The same applies when you receive your helmet, it is all components that you have to assemble yourself and which CIF doesn't care what manufacturer they give you.

Ah ok. This is the kind of insight I was looking for. Thanks I didn’t know it worked like that