Have you seen?

MMcollector

MMcollector

I am still looking for a early rim engraved Navy Reserve Faithful Service Medal, has anyone ever seen one before? I have seen a reverse engraved example on the forum before, but that’s the only engraved piece I know of.  I presume that when this medal was first issued many of the old salts who knew about rim engraving might have had their medals engraved.  

Another Service medal that I have not seen engraved along the rim is a WWI Occupation of Germany medal. Issued in 1945 so the chances are slim to non but there’s always a chance? 

Here is a photo of the engraved Navy Campaign & Service medals from the Civil War through WWII that I am the caretaker of.  

DEB7110B-3CC7-491A-9E32-555989C97DBA.jpeg

Wharfmaster

In over 40 years of collecting, I have not seen a named example of the Naval Reserve Medal. However, as they say, never say never. 

Wharf

I found this at an ASMIC regional show in New England years ago. Not my normal field, but thought it was worth a look. No idea if the engraving is Navy or private. The ribbon is obviously resewn. The brooch may be a later replacement.

Mike

NRFS medal.JPG

stratasfan

Coll engraving! I took a quick look and found several USN Edwin H. Coles.

One was an Ens on the USS Martha Washington in 1919.

In 1943, there is one, rank ARCT (AA) on the MAtagorda in Trinidad.

One a Lt. in a 1935 Naval register.

In a 1943 register, there is one who is a retired LT Commander, born in 1895.

MMcollector
On 5/21/2020 at 6:40 AM, bulldog06 said:

I found this at an ASMIC regional show in New England years ago. Not my normal field, but thought it was worth a look. No idea if the engraving is Navy or private. The ribbon is obviously resewn. The brooch may be a later replacement.

Mike

NRFS medal.JPG

Thanks for posting the photo of the medal Mike.  Only the second I’ve seen to date that was engraved.