RWG 2020 Medals Replacements Set

gijoeonthego

gijoeonthego

Here is Roger William Goodman, USN, medals replacements set I requested with his permission. I will frame in a shadow box and display them at my GOD DUTY COUNTRY Veterans Display.

RWG 2020 Medals Replacements.jpg

gijoeonthego

No. My understanding is the US Navy stopped engraving GCM in 1950. Roger was in from 72-76. My Dad's original was issued in 55 and isn't either. Someone on the forum should know. On a side note, I have another 2020 medals replacements set to be posted and it has a US Army GDC from WWII and IT IS engraved. Be on the lookout.

stratasfan

I got my Grampa's USCG replacement medals, and his GCM and USCG Commendation medals were not engraved. I was rather disappointed. Would have loved them engraved! :)

BigJohn#3RD

That is sad, because the Army still does it but the engraving is subpar to what they did back in the '40s.

gijoeonthego

That may be true, but can't see a name on a blank medal. Better engraved than nothing at all.

stratasfan
44 minutes ago, gijoeonthego said:

That may be true, but can't see a name on a blank medal. Better engraved than nothing at all.

Ditto . . . I'd have been happier if they'd even just etched them faintly! -sigh- I really need to try my hand at engraving medals. :)

gijoeonthego

Me? Don't engrave the medals. That is how the Government gave it to you. Buy them from a dealer and engrave it on how you it done.

• 1 month later...

I'd personally engrave them.  I will have my personal awards MSM and below engraved on my medal bar, with the dates and units.  It is not like they are collector's items.  The font is not important either.  It is not like we are trying to pass them off as period pieces. 

gijoeonthego

Thanks for your input. I keep everything how the government did it. I also have military records for my family's members. Either original, copies, and/or National Archives. Things that need to be corrected, I'll contact the proper channels.