double distinguished service cross ribbon bar on eBay

4STARCHRIS

4STARCHRIS

What do you guys think about this ribbon bar now on eBay? Pretty impressive if nothing else.

4starchriss-l1600.jpg

I get the feeling despite the two WWII Army patches and the Bullion OS and WW Chevron patch, that this rank is for a Marine Officer right!

I think you would be hard pressed to find a Marine Officer with TWO Army DSCs and THREE Army DSMs. The thing that bothers me about the rack is the small VN era palm on the bottom row red ribbon. I wouldn't expect to see that until the late 1960's. They normally show up on unit awards of the Vietnam Gallantry Cross unit award.

Allan

bertmedals

I'm out of my area of expertise here, but that rack is a pretty close to LTG Robert Eichelberger's.  There are a couple of errors/approximations in ribbons and devices, e.g. Navy Cross ribbon in lieu of Navy Distinguished Sevice Medal, and the 8th Army patch makes sense.  If you accept it was homemade during the war or in the early occupation, and whoever made it used what was at hand not necessarily what was right, it could be the real deal.  

Again, not my area but my thoughts for what they're worth.

Dennis

Here are some closeups of the ribbons. A little odd because he appears to have been an Army general but has the 2nd Nicaraguan Campaign and the China Service Medal - both of which are Navy awards (I could see an Army guy getting an exception to wear a Navy award once...but getting to wear two of them?) Also, Allan brings up a good point on the palm device on the lower left ribbon, which is exactly the same palm used on US-made Vietnam unit awards. Not saying it couldn't have been swapped out, but, it leaves a question in one's mind. I also noticed how glossy the oak leaf clusters are...once again, not impossible, but I'd feel more comfortable shelling out some change on this set if they showed a bit more wear and had lost some of their varnish. But that's just me. Could be totally legit, but if it's a "chose your own recipient" set of ribbons, I wouldn't be throwing money at it as there are just too many things about it that are odd. Once again...said a third time...not impossible, but...

2020-05-17_13-30-48.jpg

2020-05-17_13-33-50.jpg

ww2guymandude

I think the rack could possibly have belonged to Lt. Gen Robert L. Eichelberger, hence the “Gen R.E.” that was mentioned earlier. He also held command over the 8th Army as well as the 1st Corps, whole having extensive service starting during the border wars.

4STARCHRIS

Thanks for the replies. At a minimum its a very interesting ribbon bar. Could of been put together. However, The border ribbons do appear to have thread left over from a possible sewn on remanence.

4starchris

Three things of note on this...not saying it's good or bad, but just three things I noticed...

1. It's been sewn on a uniform. Of course, the uniform could have been bad. But, it was sewn onto a uniform at one point.

2. It has also been glued onto something. Maybe an album? But there are glue spots with no paper from removal, so maybe glued onto cloth?

3. None of the ribbons appear to be re-used. I couldn't find any holes from where the ribbons were sewn onto a bar, removed, and then re-sewn onto this bar.

8 minutes ago, ww2guymandude said:

I think the rack could possibly have belonged to Lt. Gen Robert L. Eichelberger, hence the “Gen R.E.” that was mentioned earlier. He also held command over the 8th Army as well as the 1st Corps, whole having extensive service starting during the border wars.

Looking at Eichelberger's bios, I don't see him being awarded Navy medals, nor the Order of Nevsky. Bunch of other foreign awards that aren't represented either...

4STARCHRIS

The other thing is the person who stitched it together appears to have done the whole ribbon bar at the same time and not any additions.The Belgium Croix de Guerre appears to have to a good palm though. Which makes me think the ribbon before could of had this as a replacement?

4tarchris

Here's Wikipedia's list of Eichelberger's awards. Not saying Wikipedia is always right, but considering the source of the awards, I'd have high hopes they'd be close to correct...

2020-05-17_14-58-05.jpg

A little more comparison between the two lists. The two exclamation points are awards that are "kind of" correct...but are not a real match. 

2020-05-17_14-5bb8-05.jpg

Surprised no one posted the above image yet. These are the ribbons Eichelberger wore in 1948. Not really a match...