Small grouping from Japanese American MISLS graduate with unknown patch

CHASEUSA11B

CHASEUSA11B

Hello everyone, I just received this small grouping of patches and garrison caps belonging to a Japanese American who served in the Army in WW2. From what I found online he was relocated and interned at a camp in Arizona and graduated from the Military Intelligence Language School in July 1945. I found some documents and a photo online but I was unable to identify the red and black Phoenix? Patch. Does anyone recognize it? 

AF628259-D0A4-4DDB-8DDB-F448E33EEBC1.jpeg

huntssurplus

How old was he when he entered the military? Boy scouts was very popular among many of the young interned japanese american boys. 

Hunt

CHASEUSA11B

Interesting point. 

He was born in 1918 so he was already 23 when the war started and served later in the war. 

I don’t know the time frame of the BSA patch. It may have been his sons and just got mixed up with the military patches much later 

The Boy Scout patrol patch is likely 40s period. Maybe his son ? I’ve seen tons of BSA patches mixed in military lots like this before. 

CHASEUSA11B

Thanks Wake1941, I wasn’t sure on the vintage of the patch. I got this from the veteran’s son in law. I don’t know if he had any sons but that’s definitely  a possibility. 

Wow, nice grouping from a lesser known and underappreciated niche of military service in WW2.  MIS servicemen numbered around 6,000 and were present at every major battle against the Japanese. In contrast with the 100th Infantry/442th Regiment which were heavily publicized and photographed, the MIS was under strict wraps/secrecy with scarce photographs and relatively unknown during and after the war.  

Great pick up?

pat

huntssurplus

I have to agree, great group for sure! MIS items are very scarce. only other items I have ever seen was a small photo group of MIS soldiers most likely from a photo album. I snatched them up pretty quickly! 

Hunt

CHASEUSA11B

Thanks guys! I hope to learn more about this soldier and post again if I find anything out.

There are a number of sites now that have information regarding the Nisei and other relevant matters of the day.  If I can help you, just pm.  

Unfortunately, I have found no one source which is complete.  The records, particularly the MIS/CIC were not available for decades and then, still difficult to find and access.  More over, whether the soldier was 442nd or MIS, there was no certainty that his/her military information was fully documented.  I have one Japanese American not in any of the sites.  So, when I am finished accruing his wartime data, I will donate that information to at least 2 sites.  

regards,

pat

CHASEUSA11B
17 hours ago, jpstout said:

There are a number of sites now that have information regarding the Nisei and other relevant matters of the day.  If I can help you, just pm.  

Unfortunately, I have found no one source which is complete.  The records, particularly the MIS/CIC were not available for decades and then, still difficult to find and access.  More over, whether the soldier was 442nd or MIS, there was no certainty that his/her military information was fully documented.  I have one Japanese American not in any of the sites.  So, when I am finished accruing his wartime data, I will donate that information to at least 2 sites.  

regards,

pat

Thank you, I appreciate it