Opinions on engraving of USN/USMC PH

kkevin2004

kkevin2004

My father has had this PH in his collection for many years and recently gave it to me. He never researched the name so I did and found a couple of possibilities. It appears to be a 1945 U.S. Mint type-II Naval Purple Heart. The engraving, which is faded from wear, is not the typical USN or USMC engraving style. I did find a couple of WWII possibilities. One was an individual in the Navy that served as a POW for 4 years in Japan. The other is a Marine that was in several major battles in the Pacific. I could not find any info that stated either one received the Purple Heart and may have to wait until NPRC in St Louis reopens.

My question is has anyone seen this type of engraving on a USN/USMC PH?

IMG_1764.jpg

IMG_1765.jpg

IMG_1767.jpg

The medal's kind of a hodge-podge of parts...but in short, the planchet appears to be a 50s through 70s replacement medal (due to the engraving) mated up to a different ribbon and brooch. It honestly looks like something a veteran would do for themselves instead of something made up...and boy, did this medal ever see wear! 

kkevin2004
3 minutes ago, Dave said:

The medal's kind of a hodge-podge of parts...but in short, the planchet appears to be a 50s through 70s replacement medal (due to the engraving) mated up to a different ribbon and brooch. It honestly looks like something a veteran would do for themselves instead of something made up...and boy, did this medal ever see wear! 

Many thanks for your opinion, Dave. This is a head scratcher for sure and the wear shows it really meant something to the veteran!

dhcoleterracina

Looks to me to be something made to look like a Navy Purple Heart. The wide ribbon bar, the star on the ribbon, the full brooch which looks to be from a WW1 Victory medal.  Sorry, I think it was made up to fool. 

kkevin2004
36 minutes ago, dhcoleterracina said:

Looks to me to be something made to look like a Navy Purple Heart. The wide ribbon bar, the star on the ribbon, the full brooch which looks to be from a WW1 Victory medal.  Sorry, I think it was made up to fool. 

I came here for opinions and I’m glad to get honest ones. It just didn’t seem right for a USN/USMC PH. Thanks!