WW2 DOG TAG WITH 2 HOLES

muddyboots

muddyboots

I picked this up on eBay and was interested in the two holes. One factory and the other done by hand. What has me interested is the handmade hole is worn on both sides.. and is worn to the inside of the backside and outside the front side. The letter G has a wear spot as well. The seller had other military items from WW2 but couldn’t remember if they found together or not. The items were 47th Infantry Regiment DUI and a numbered officer crossed rifles collar pin. I couldn’t find anything that links him to being a officer so they might not belong together. And I can’t find too much on the veteran or at least his time in the military. Could the tag been worn as a bracelet or boot tag??? Or just worn different around the neck.

724F5B16-A9E9-4AAB-B302-0792A9C1810D.jpeg

1EB2A00E-B559-4E9D-AD12-D79DAD786989.jpeg

F1AACB77-754B-486D-9ECD-A8CDF8BC42AA.jpeg

Salvage Sailor

Perhaps he wanted to wear them Navy style.  USN WWII tags had two holes and were often laced together with a leather strap or shoelace.

muddyboots
15 hours ago, Wake1941 said:

He probably had the earlier style cloth chains, I’ve had a few NOK with the cloth chains 

I believe he enlisted in 1942 so there is a good chance he had one. One day I might be able to order records from the archives and possibly get a hint at how he served.