USAAF use of RAF flight gear

Butcher Boy

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum. I wanted to ask if anyone of you has pictures of British issue flight gear used by USAAF flyboys... Thanks a lot !

Michael

Welcome to the forum Michael.

I'll hope you have a nice time here.

If I were you I'd just google for a random Fighter/Bomb Group website and take a look at the unit pictures.

I'm sure you will see RAF flight gear in use by them.

For example: The british C-type flying helmet was used very often by USAAF men.

I'll see if I can get you a few pictures of the internet.

Regards, Tom

HolyHappiness

I don't have any pics for you but the USAAF commonly used RAF flight helmets, goggles, and parachute harnesses namely the "death disc" style.

I don't have any pics for you but the USAAF commonly used RAF flight helmets, goggles, and parachute harnesses namely the "death disc" style.

Here is a Type "C" helmet with Mk VIII goggles. This combo was the typical combination that USAAF pilots are usually seen with. The US oxygen mask would be worn in place of this Type "L" (or "M") mask with US earphones and wiring installed.

-Ski

post-3043-1231884020.jpg

Here's a 56th Fighter Group pilot in mid-1944 wearing a Brit C-Type helmet and MKVII goggles without the sun visor installed.

Bob

Wiley_Merrill_62nd_FS_56_FG.jpg

Here is a Type "C" helmet with Mk VIII goggles. This combo was the typical combination that USAAF pilots are usually seen with. The US oxygen mask would be worn in place of this Type "L" (or "M") mask with US earphones and wiring installed.

-Ski

Hi, thanks for the reply! I was mainly looking for any example of a modified B type helmet. I already own several C type helmets (modified for USAAF use) but I recently acquired a plain B helmet with rigger made ear cups (similar to the vulcano type used by NAF crews).

Btw, your combination looks very nice. The oxy mask is actually a H type mask, probably post-war. You can find the date in a small circle near the microphone. 1945 dated H type masks are rather scarce, much scrarcer than the G type mask.

Anyway, great items thumbsup.gif

Michael