WWI Navy Cross grouping, w/ photo album, more

Cwnavy1

manayunkman

You risk trouble selling items that aren’t permitted on eBay.

Navy crosses are on the banned list.

stratasfan
31 minutes ago, manayunkman said:

Right . . . Good catch! I wasn't thinking about that, and they sure are! Well . . . that sure makes it harder. Maybe you could start by posting on here for what you'd be happy getting. I'm sure a lot of members can pass it on to others who might be interested, too. It is such a cool grouping! I mean, the medals are cool and all . . . but that picture of the ship with the streamers and the frame made of wood from the Constitution - Wow!

1 hour ago, manayunkman said:

So are Purple Hearts, but they close routinely. You can find closed auctions of Navy Crosses on eBay. 

manayunkman

That’s why I said risk.

If you are a principled person then you follow the rules, avoid getting suspended and your character remains unchanged.

If I knew someone on the forum was knowingly listing banned items on eBay I would wonder what other corners they cut or can they be trusted.

vintageproductions

That is a WWI watch cap, and it will sell for more then a WWII version.

2 hours ago, manayunkman said:

What risk? They will pull the auction if they don't like it and that is the end of it.

manayunkman

If you are playing games or taking chances on eBay you will be suspended.

It happens all the time and people appear to get away with it but many don’t. 

I work with several auction houses that do on line auctions some on eBay and they constantly have tried to hide stuff that shouldn’t be listed.

They get caught and get suspended.

KASTAUFFER

Since the hat has a service number on it, and Naval Officers didnt have service numbers assigned in WWI, could that hat be from the time period of his Naval Reserve service? It says "captain" on it and he was not in WWI , but he could have used that rank, since he was the skipper of his ship. 

I did confirm he had WWII service.  

Kurt

24 minutes ago, KASTAUFFER said:

smith.JPG

Being the senior Unrestricted Line Lieutenant Commander in the entire U.S. Navy, I thought I was "long in the tooth" for wearing the rank (12 years in August). This guy went from war to war at the same rank! :D

stratasfan
18 hours ago, skir said:

What risk? They will pull the auction if they don't like it and that is the end of it.

Actually, not quite correct. Most often, the auction gets pulled and the eBay seller gets a 7 -30 day suspension. So, it is bigger than the auction just being pulled. I know . . . I tried to sell a Navy Cross on there before I knew that eBay had rules about more than the MOH. There is no warning and no chance to remove it. It just happens. Also . . . there are self-appointed eBay police who report things like that. Run into some of them, too. 

manayunkman
5 minutes ago, stratasfan said:

Actually, not quite correct. Most often, the auction gets pulled and the eBay seller gets a 7 -30 day suspension. So, it is bigger than the auction just being pulled. I know . . . I tried to sell a Navy Cross on there before I knew that eBay had rules about more than the MOH. There is no warning and no chance to remove it. It just happens. Also . . . there are self-appointed eBay police who report things like that. Run into some of them, too. 

Amen to that!!

Interesting,  been on ebay since 1998 and had more items pulled that I can remember.  Never once got suspended.  Of course did not list a Navy cross nor was I an auction barker trying to break the rules. If I may ask, how much time did you get suspended for listing your Navy Cross? 

stratasfan

I got a 14 day suspension, but someone I knew at the same time (we learned about the valour cross rule together!) got 30 days. And a guy reported the auctions. I know because he was rude enough to contact us and brag about it. You couldn't use your account for the suspension time and all your listing were just cancelled. It was annoying. Traded the Navy Cross later on. Much easier. 

So, that's how I learned about the valour crosses and PHs on eBay. However, they do a diservice, as they allow too many valour cross and PH sales to go through. Means nothing when you don't enforce a rule. Like a parent saying "you do that again and I'll . . . " and then when the child does it, they don't do anything. I don't get eBay allowing so many and then not allowing others. Oh, well . . . not my problem, just my analytical mind. 

Sad to say . . . I guess I wouldn't recommend trying this group on eBay. Would be such a shame to split it up! :) It is so amazing! Especially for a USN or NC or WWI USN collector! This is one of those groups that I would think would make a collector happy to have, even if it was the total centerpiece of their collection!

2 minutes ago, stratasfan said:

I got a 14 day suspension, but someone I knew at the same time (we learned about the valour cross rule together!) got 30 days. And a guy reported the auctions. I know because he was rude enough to contact us and brag about it. You couldn't use your account for the suspension time and all your listing were just cancelled. It was annoying. Traded the Navy Cross later on. Much easier. 

So, that's how I learned about the valour crosses and PHs on eBay. However, they do a diservice, as they allow too many valour cross and PH sales to go through. Means nothing when you don't enforce a rule. Like a parent saying "you do that again and I'll . . . " and then when the child does it, they don't do anything. I don't get eBay allowing so many and then not allowing others. Oh, well . . . not my problem, just my analytical mind. 

Sad to say . . . I guess I wouldn't recommend trying this group on eBay. Would be such a shame to split it up! :) It is so amazing! Especially for a USN or NC or WWI USN collector! This is one of those groups that I would think would make a collector happy to have, even if it was the total centerpiece of their collection!

Ouch, I can see that You got nailed good. Sorry to hear that. Have to say all my stuff was accepted by ebay, just used bad words like velcro,nazi, J@p., ect. 

Good info, thanks for the enlightenment 

aerialbridge

Do you have any idea what your group is worth?    The danger of not knowing is you'll set your price too low and gyp yourself out of hundreds or maybe a thousand or more dollars.   If you offer it for sale too low, you'll know right away since it will be gone in 5 minutes or less.  If you've had it for 40 years, another few days to figure out what it's worth to sell it seems like a no brainer.  Suggest you at least post it in the Whats it Worth section here and give it a few days for people to give their 2 cents on what its worth.   I second the suggestion you list it on ebay and describe it fully  US Navy  Cross World War I Medal Group with Photo Album Mine Laying and Sweeping.   An attributed WWI Navy Cross IMO is $1000 to 1500.   With the silver bowl and the album,  I'd say potentially $2500 to 3k.   How many pictures are in the album and do you know which mine-layer and minesweeper ships he commanded?

https://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/forum/1195-whats-it-worth/

Herre is another item from the Capt. Smith grouping.  It is a large format photo of his mine sweeper , 206,, framed with what he said was book shelving from the USS Constitution which was refit in 1927.  He even placed strips of the WWI Victory ribbons on the upper left hand corner of the image, complete with a battle star.  It's a little larger than 18" x 24667124336_XMartinSmithshipcopy2.jpg.7abcf5cd7e131cadca6eea47c6f9702b.jpg".

Just found this additional piece for the XMS group.  It is a first day cover for a visit of Old Ironsides to Norfolk, Capt. Smith's home town.  He addressed it to his home address in California.1031635633_ironsidecover.jpg.d9253cb43a0a72bd5d2563b86714eb4c.jpg

12 hours ago, Cwnavy1 said:

Just found this additional piece for the XMS group.  It is a first day cover for a visit of Old Ironsides to Norfolk, Capt. Smith's home town.  He addressed it to his home address in California.1031635633_ironsidecover.jpg.d9253cb43a0a72bd5d2563b86714eb4c.jpg

Very nice,  actually the first day cover is from Yorktown Va. In 1931 it was the 150th anniversary of the battle of Yorktown , the opening of the Colonial park and drive,and a huge holiday.  Of course Yorktown is where Gen. Washington defeated the British and set the stage for our Independence. There was a huge reenactment manned by the US Army (in which my Grandfather was a participant ), The President and most of Washington DC were there. And of course, the USS Constitution . Another cool item from the group!