WWI Navy Cross grouping, w/ photo album, more

Cwnavy1

One area where I need help results from an inheritance I received back in the early '70s.  I received a pile of World War I navy material from the skipper of a mine sweeper in the Great War who received the Navy Cross for his work.  I have all his decorations, some of his uniforms items, some of his later WWII items (mostly documents) and an incredible photo album from the first war with annotated photos not only of his service at sea, but documenting his time ashore which included expeditions to battlefields where he photographed destroyed tanks etc.

I need to dispose of this collection before my children have to.  I have offered it to the Naval Historical Center twice and been rejected both tines.  Any thoughts?

X Martin Smith artifacts copy.JPG

I’m sure there would be plenty of guys who would jump at the opportunity to own a fantastic group like this. 

T1gertank519

Now that’s quite the interesting group! Very cool. Best of luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow - superb looking group! I'm certain there are many on here who would love to give it a good home. Add some post in some threads and offer the group(s) in our active for sale forum - I'd love to see them!

Dave

I've receeived lots of input about trhis group with folks wanting to see more.  I'll attach another image or two.  Don't know how to post more than that. First is a closeup of his WWI decorations.  Second is a great image from his album of a naval warehouse in France with USN trucks in front (Yes they have navy markings) full of seabags and hammocks.  He has plenty of imags of his shipboard service along with his tours of various battlefields.

resized_IMG_4239.jpg

resized_USN trucks and bedding.jpg

Here is another item from the Capt. X.M. Smith grouping.  One is a souvenir of his time laying mines and then sweeping them up.  i've never seen another.  1924259567_Minefloatdecor229kb.jpg.1fa7059cfd3790b80cf29af763988209.jpg

2 minutes ago, Cwnavy1 said:

Here is another item from the Capt. X.M. Smith grouping.  One is a souvenir of his time laying mines and then sweeping them up.  i've never seen another.  1924259567_Minefloatdecor229kb.jpg.1fa7059cfd3790b80cf29af763988209.jpg

Now THAT is exceptionally cool!!! 

stratasfan

Are you looking to donate or sell? If donating . . . have you looked at the WWI Museum in Kansas City? This is such a different group from normal group topics! :)

stratasfan

Just noticed in the first picture . .. what is the little Anchor?

Imprinted on it is” made from material from the US Frigate USS Constitution.  Cool little item.

Very interesting grouping I'm sure it will gather a lot of interest. Welcome to the forum from a fellow Floridian.

KASTAUFFER

spectacular group! Here is the citation:

SMITH, MARTIN X.
Ensign, U.S. Navy (Reserve Forces)
Commanding Officer, U.S.S. C-206
Date Of Action: World War I

Citation:
The Navy Cross is awarded to Ensign Martin X. Smith, U.S. Navy (Reserve Forces), for exceptionally meritorious and distinguished service while in command of the U.S.S. C-206, engaged in the important and hazardous work of clearing the North Sea of mines.

More pics from this grouping.  Capt Smith was involved in laying the North Sea Mine Barrage. then in sweeping it after the armistice.  His album is full of photos of daily life of sailors both on ship and ashore.  Evidently a large part of mine duty had to do with assembling them on shore first.  Thats what these pics show.  There are others that show railroad freight cars loaded teo the top with mines.1933296853_Minepics201kb.jpg.c3f0acf4f48d3aee0310dd8be3d0365f.jpg

KASTAUFFER

Do you know if he engraved his name on the backs of the Naval Shooting medals on the bar? It was common prior to WWII to have it done.

Kurt

I have been asked when I will piost this group for sale.  The rules of the forum indicate that I cannot list anything for sale until I have made 30 posts.  I figure I should be at that level this weekend.  When I do make that post in the For Sale forum,, it will go to the first PM I receive who is willing to meet the listed price.  I just don't know how to make it more fair than that. Below 9is another greap photo from hjis WWI album which has hundreds of images.  Thius is of a Navy truck hauling sailors 1297698729_Navytruckcrew229kb.jpg.0025bccbe38d091c63c44578de1c2604.jpg and seabags somewhere in France.

In answer to many questioins which have come up about this grouping and its sale, I will list it in the For Sale section as soon as I have met the requirement of having made 30 posts.  I have no idea how long that will take, but I can keep putting up images of more of the group daily until I have made it.  Just FYI, this post makes 7.  

the photo attached below is of two drawings done by Capt Smith as a child, both of warships.  For one, he won a prize in the local Norfolk, VA newspaper.  It was then framed with a small image of XMS as a youngster, interestingly, in a sort of sailor suit.888213022_XMSkiddrawings164kb.jpg.8c038c3517c6f51cafbf4a6629ca1f80.jpg

Herre is today's first image from the XMS group.  This was evidently his watchm cap, but I'm not sure what period its from.  I suspect its from the Great War since thaat was all North Atlantic.1811608690_XMSwatchcap205kb.jpg.06dfe4a16a68af522c0ca79bda0f9457.jpg

Here's a grouping from his huge album of misc hardware.  On top is a fire engine, then some guys shjooting over the rail.  The close sailor looks like he's shooting an old Colt M`1895 machine gun, behind him is a guy with an '03 Spfld. Last is a hard hat diver coming onto a boat.

793678880_Mischardware209kb.jpg.f9bbeca8272fe4c14b40065f0d15c607.jpg

15 hours ago, doyler said:

Rare and Expensive group...

Ebay may be the route to go.

I tend to agree. This may be one of the nicest and most complete WW1 Navy Cross groups I've seen and there are some parts of it that are probably worth more than one would think...a WW2 vintage watch cap like that brings crazy money...no idea if a WW1 vintage one would bring the same, but it might be surprising (a shame to split it out, I know, I know...)

stratasfan

eBay might be a good place to try! There must be someone who would be willing to invest in the whole thing, and not have to split it up. It would be such a cool thing to get it to someone as the grouping. It is amazing!