Nailing the date on these two jump wings

I bought these two jump wings 17 years ago. They came from the estate of Roy Barger who was a member of the 508th PIR during WW2. He transferred to the Air Force in the late 40's and served till sometime in the late 60's. He passed away in 2004.

Of course Mr Barger could have bought these wings at any time but I think the wings with the star are ones he acquired during WW2 or immediately after. Is it plausible these date to WW2?

Roy_Barger_WW2_1_resized.jpg

Roy_Barger_WW2_2_resized.jpg

Roy_Barger_WW2_3_resized.jpg

triplecanopy

It is interesting to see both the SB and 2S hallmarks on the same badge. SB is for Silverman Brothers and 2S is a later IOH hallmark for Silverman.

I would date the master jump wings from mid 1950's to early 1960's. The AE or American Emblem Basic jump wings is most likely late WWII to just after WWII. It would be hard to narrow it down much further.

I would only quibble in that the AECo wings should be considered just WWII vintage.  Just a few years after the end of the war (and before the start of the KW), AECo went out of business.  I don't think that you could say that the were early or late war... Just WWII time manufactured.  However, WHEN they were bought and worn can be anytime from WWII until when ever.  The Wosk daughters are still selling boxed AECo wings from their fathers old stock WWII stock piles.  Are those wings WWII or post WWII? 

I love these salty wings with repairs. Clearly they were well loved and used.  Super neat.

Patrick

Thanks all for your information. 

I am keeping both wings along with his wartime photograph album together in hopes they never get separated.  I had bought Barger's wartime album at the local flea market in late 2003.  I bought both sets of wings as well as Bargers 8x12 508th membership certificate at the same flea market from the same guy in 2004! The flea market guy said he knew Barger, ran a bar in Eaton, Ohio , and helped him out over the years.

5thwingmarty

It is awesome to find attributed groupings like this.  I try to hit as many antique malls as I can when I travel for work, but have never hit any flea markets since I started collecting.

I have a question for the experts on senior and master jump wings.  When he earned his master jump wings, could he have added a star to it as well, or does the master rating rule out adding any such additional stars or arrowheads?

Marty 

triplecanopy

He could have added the combat star to either the senior or master parachutist wings as his experience and rating proficiency grew. Once you have made a combat jump, it remains in your jump history. A combat jump or "mustard stain" on your jump wings is a treasured thing to have. It is good for life.