Mackinaw Jacket Question

huntssurplus

huntssurplus

Hello Everybody

Another question that's been having me thinking is about the Mackinaw jackets service in WW2. In Shelby Stanton's book about US Army WW2 uniforms he says that the official US Army Cold Weather uniform before the war was the standard field uniform (M41/M37 Parsons Jacket, M37 Wool shirt, M37 Wool Trousers, ETC) with the Mackinaw Jacket over that. But, it seems that besides officers (mostly Colonels and General Officers) the Mackinaw Jacket seems to not have gotten much use. Stanton does mention that there were clothing shortages, especially in the winter of 1944/1945 leading to the reintroduction of the phased out Heavy Wool greatcoat. It seems like the Mackinaw was just not used very often though. Obviously by 1944, all of the old field uniform items were being phased out with the introduction of the M43 uniform. But my question basically is, was the Mackinaw jacket extensively used? Especially in the winter of 1943/1944 in Italy? I feel like that would have been the most likely place for it use. I guess North Africa too, as it could get cold there at night. i have found a few pictures of it in use, but there aren't many pictures of enlisted men wearing it.

Thanks for the answers

Hunt

T Ambrosini

Here is a photo I copied from the 'net a wile back.  Port of Embarkation patch on the left sleeve.  I don't know where the photo was taken.

1st pattern jeep coat.jpg

huntssurplus

What about its use among frontline Infantry Soldiers? Especially during winter of 1944/1945 and in the Aleutian island campaign of 1943? Makes sense it would be used by rear-echelon troops as field practicality was not as required. But I wonder with Infantry, Combat Engineers, etc. 

Thanks
Hunt

huntssurplus

What about its use among frontline Infantry Soldiers? Especially during winter of 1944/1945 and in the Aleutian island campaign of 1943? Makes sense it would be used by rear-echelon troops as field practicality was not as required. But I wonder with Infantry, Combat Engineers, etc. 

Thanks
Hunt

23 hours ago, huntssurplus said:

Thanks
Hunt

Here's a bunch of them being worn by troops captured by the enemy during the early part of the Ardennes Offensive, to include the officer who in a pinch is wearing his Mohair Coat, an item normally reserved for dress. Unit is unknown, or more correctly UNITS, as they may be from several different ones, and from both combat, combat support and or support units.

ture.PNG

huntssurplus
26 minutes ago, patches said:

Here's a bunch of them being worn by troops captured by the enemy during the early part of the Ardennes Offensive, to include the officer who in a pinch is wearing his Mohair Coat, an item normally reserved for dress. Unit is unknown, or more correctly UNITS, as they may be from several different ones, and from both combat, combat support and or support units.

ture.PNG

Thanks for the great picture! That's exactly what I was looking for. Definitely see a lot in there, so would seem it was very commonly worn by frontline infantry. Looks like they are about even with the heavy wool greatcoats. If I had to guess, these were probably soldiers of the 106th Infantry Division or 99th Infantry Division. 

Now if anyone could find a picture of men in the Aleutians wearing them, especially during the Battle of Attu. 

Thanks again for the help!
Hunt

huntssurplus
15 hours ago, patches said:

For some Eye Candy of various MACs check out this pinned topic by Craig Pickrall.

Great thread! Mackinaws are an underappreciated item I'd say!

Hunt

MinorInHistory

Here is a photo that I stumbled across awhile back while looking through photos of the Ardennes Offensive.

8F792825-9BA3-453F-A26C-E5DC2AA47F25.jpeg

10 hours ago, MinorInHistory said:

Here is a photo that I stumbled across awhile back while looking through photos of the Ardennes Offensive.

8F792825-9BA3-453F-A26C-E5DC2AA47F25.jpeg

That there is an M1943 Officers Moleskin Coat, in better times thee dress outer garment for officers, this short version seen above and the 1930s one and a long skirt version.In the winter of 43-44 in Italy and in Northern France, Alsace Lorraine etc in the winter of 44-45 it was as we see worn in a pinch by some officers and as we see by a front line officer, for lack of anything else they busted these out to wear. The officer seems to be a Major (See Oak Leaf on Pot) and probably a battalion commander of which ever unit these soldiers are of.

p26121.JPG