Thoughts on Engraving

Worldwar_Collector

Worldwar_Collector

Hello all.  I came across these medals on Ebay.  They come with a copy of the award of the silver star as well as some patches and a ribbon rack.  I would like to hear your thoughts on the engraving of these medals, as I know they are privately done.  However, I've never seen a style like this.  Has anyone else seen this type and does it look wartime done/legit or perhaps they are replacements? In other words is it something worth trying to bid on? 

Thanks,

Jared

98931379-2DE8-4F3A-BCF7-43B8F20EB63B_4_5005_c.jpeg.5bb5539e30f50683703540d4fa8c0dc5.jpeg7D12A789-AF8F-4AC4-8CC9-3533752A7581_4_5005_c.jpeg.3f8320b47614634be2c686f02f1de75a.jpeg

manayunkman

It looks machine done which leads me to believe is after WWII.

Just the fact that they are out of the ordinary I wouldn’t want much in them.

The SS looks like "Things Remembered" machine engraving.  Your photo of the PH is a little dark so I can't tell much.  Looks hand engraving.

manayunkman

manayunkman

manayunkman

The PH looks like the same engraving to me.

I have no idea why I posted in triplicate.

Worldwar_Collector
40 minutes ago, fansong said:

The SS looks like "Things Remembered" machine engraving.  Your photo of the PH is a little dark so I can't tell much.  Looks hand engraving.

Sorry about the brightness, that is how the seller posted it and I just took a screenshot.

Worldwar_Collector
18 minutes ago, manayunkman said:

The PH looks like the same engraving to me.

I have no idea why I posted in triplicate.

Thank you for your input! No worries the forum has been acting up for me today as well

Here are a couple of better photos. They are both privately machine engraved, post-war. Not really worth a huge amount without some heavy provenance tying them in to the veteran, in my opinion. imageproxy.php?img=&key=ccb5655fc381875eimageproxy.php?img=&key=ccb5655fc381875e

2020-05-15_8-17-25.jpg

2020-05-15_8-19-46.jpg

2020-05-15_8-19-46.jpg

Worldwar_Collector

Thank you Dave and manayunkman for your inputs! It seems like this is something that I will definitely hold off from bidding on.

KASTAUFFER

There has been a rash of these hokey engraved medals on Ebay lately where someone has tried to age them by scratching the backs and scuffing around the engraving.

Kurt

Worldwar_Collector
13 minutes ago, KASTAUFFER said:

There has been a rash of these hokey engraved medals on Ebay lately where someone has tried to age them by scratching the backs and scuffing around the engraving.

Kurt

I'd definitely have to agree with you on that.  I saw one a week or two ago and it looked so unauthentic I couldn't believe people were bidding on it.  But I suppose if there was a "story" with it, it would draw even the more skeptical buyers into bidding on it.  Thats why I asked about these two medals...they didn't look official to me but the silver star citation kept me interested.  

When I can access the internet, my hobby of late is screenshotting eBay auctions for Purple Hearts. There have been some real winners lately...and people paying through the nose for really distressing medal groups. 

Here's one with official engraving...from the 90s...that someone dropped $700 of hard-earned-money on.

I can't get $700 for legitimate WW2 KIA PH/BSM groups...but apparently this seller got that for a reissue WIA pair from a Vietnam vet...

2020-04-24_13-29-51.jpg

To his credit, mac actually took this Purple Heart out of the group and sold the paper separately. Not saying he destroyed the bad fake, but at least he tried to seem legitimate on eBay...

2020-04-27_21-09-34.jpg

This one wasn't bad, but $560 for a separation center WIA Purple Heart has got to be close to a record... :O 

2020-05-08_20-59-21.jpg

Another, not fake...but also not at all what it was advertised to be.  And it had a lot of excited bidding before the seller ended the auction early - I assume he received an offer off-eBay in excess of where the bidding was...

2020-05-10_20-24-58.jpg

2020-05-10_20-28-30.jpg

Worldwar_Collector
8 hours ago, Dave said:

Here's one with official engraving...from the 90s...that someone dropped $700 of hard-earned-money on.

I can't get $700 for legitimate WW2 KIA PH/BSM groups...but apparently this seller got that for a reissue WIA pair from a Vietnam vet...

It seems from what I have noticed lately that Purple Heart prices have been all over the place lately.  Wether it's a legit one selling for cheap or a fake/later done one selling through the roof.  I might be wrong but it just seems kinda weird that I don't remember all these Purple Heart sales on Ebay before the pandemic.  

Speaking of prices...here's a record (thus far) for an 88th Division Anzio KIA. The medal's good, but it's heading into airborne prices... two bidders are most definitely in love with this medal. 

2020-05-16_8-38-20.jpg

I don‘t understand why people are paying so much for Purple Hearts on Ebay. Even late WWII examples that are not named or numbered and modern issue medals are being sold for ridiculous prices. And it doesn‘t seem to be stopping either. I wonder if these „collectors“ only use Ebay and never look at other sites or go anywhere else to buy their stuff. There are a number of options to find Purple Hearts at cheaper prices.