Unknown Squadron Patch ID: VA-44 Scarlett Knights of CVG-4 1950

I know I have seen this but can't place it, I think it is a Navy squadron but could be off. It is embroidered on felt and about five inches tall. Any help will be appreciated.   

imageproxy.php?img=&key=ccb5655fc381875eimageproxy.php?img=&key=ccb5655fc381875ethumbnail.jpeg.8dc1a3b28c7b22878ca514b0cc906200.jpeg

vintageproductions

a red horse unit wouldn't be this big or this type construction.

Thanks for the help. The only thing I could find on the 219th Red Horse is they use a red stylized horse head not a chess piece and as stated the style and construction seem to predate the Air Force Red Horse units. I would guess it is from the 1950s but for all I know it could be a chess club patch. 

Salvage Sailor

The Knight is used on many USN squadron insignias, one of them being TRARON THREE (VT-3) The Red Knights, but I've never seen the chess piece used on their insignia.  It also looks to be much older than their first use of the moniker The Red Knights.

There are also USN squadrons named the Black Knights, Chessmen, Island Knights, Green Knights, Knight Riders, Emerald Knights, Sea Knights, Grey Knights, etc, etc.

This could be a high school, prep school, academy, college or chess club patch

I think your patch is for VA-44 circa 1949-1950. There was a brief period where some USN CAGs were using different colors/chess pieces to designate squadrons belonging to a carrier's air group. The King designated the CAG, the Pawn was used for Fighter squadrons and the Knight designated the attack squadron. VA-44 was briefly named the "Scarlett Knights" before being disestablished in 1950. They did two cruises aboard the USS Midway in 1949 and 1950. Sent you a PM. Jeffro

I think we have a winner. I have found several references to VA-44 being called the Scarlet Knights including one website with a picture of the patch. Another mystery of collecting solved. Many thanks for the help.

Salvage Sailor

Excellent info Jeffro,

Here's the dope on the Knights and Pawns of Carrier Air Group Four (CVG-4) circa 1950 from the USS MIDWAY cruise book

"Utilizing chessmen, the CAG insignia represents ComCVG-4 as the King in command of the five Air Group Squadrons, the two Attack Squadrons represented by the Knights and the three Fighter Squadrons by the Pawns"

083.jpg

Squadron VF-42 The Green Pawns

086.jpg

Squadron VF-43 The Blue Pawns (note the patch on the flight jackets)

088.jpg

And the Black Knights of VA-45 which would make VA-44 The Red or Scarlett Knights as you surmised.

Any guesses on the color of the Pawn for VF-41?

093.jpg

• 2 years later...

A little further information on VA-44 deployments:  my father wore this patch, among others.  He deployed on a Med cruise in ADs on the Franklin D Roosevelt, never on the Midway.  The USS Franklin D Roosevelt deployment page shows VA-44 on the FDR for Sept 23, 1948 - Jan 23, 1949 Med cruise.  There's also a VA-3B patch sewn into his flight jacket.

The VA-44 Skyhawk Association page includes the VA-44 and VA-3B patches among several used over the years by the VA-44 squadrons.

Wikipedia Commons includes a photo of VA-3B ADs with dive brakes deployed.  The picture of the description indicates that VA-3B was redesignated VA-44 during that cruise.

• 11 months later...
YourAverageJoe

My Dad flew with this squadron on the USS FDR. I attached an image of the jacket with the 1st VA44 patch on it.

I never would have thought I'd see it anywhere else.

Glad to be aboard here!

20231115_122440.jpg

22 minutes ago, YourAverageJoe said:

My Dad flew with this squadron on the USS FDR. I attached an image of the jacket with the 1st VA44 patch on it.

I never would have thought I'd see it anywhere else.

Glad to be aboard here!

20231115_122440.jpg

Welcome aboard and I’m sure I’m not alone when I request to see more pictures of the jacket and anything else you might have of your dad’s.

We here love that sort of thing.