WWII Distinguished Flying Cross Questions

Daytonian777

Daytonian777

Hello everyone, I hope this finds you all well.

I have a few questions about this DFC that I picked up recently. I purchased it on eBay, but the pictures weren't very clear so I took a leap of faith and placed a bid. When it arrived, I was very pleased with the condition, but noticed that it was very heavy in comparison to my other (1980's Lordship Industries) DFC. The planchet seems to be quite thick (3mm or so) like the Navy issued Crosses, but it does not have the soldered ring. 

Is this a later Navy issued medal, or a USAAF medal with a thick planchet? Did the U.S. Mint ever go to the integrated Army style ring to save on labor? Did any other manufacturer produce a thicker strike? I also will post a picture of the case if that helps in identification. 

Thank you in advance for your opinions/expertise! ?

DFC II.jpg

MMcollector

IMO this is a proper Army AAC contract from WWII.  I’ve bought and sold many with the same characteristics. 

Daytonian777

Thanks for the response, Clinton! ?

Is it common to find the thicker planchet USAAF DFCs? Also, do you have any idea of who the manufacturers during WWII (other than the U.S. Mint) were? 

MMcollector

I wouldn’t say it’s common to find the thicker type AAC DFC’s. I also wouldn’t say they are rare.  Not sure who the maker was either. wish I had more information for you.  

Daytonian777

Thanks for the information, I really appreciate it! Hopefully one day the maker(s) of these will be positively identified.

Cheers!