Suggestions on how to put a group back together

ErwinRommel1940

ErwinRommel1940

Hello all,

I have several single named medals and I was wondering how one could find out what other medals an soldier earned. For example, I have a KIA PH to Leonard Momsen. When reviewing the paperwork that came with medal, I found out he was entitled to a Silver Star, CIB, Victory, etc. (According to AmericanWarGraves.com). When I tried to search for this website, I found that it no longer exists. I was wondering what other resource I could use to find the full medal compliments for other named medals I own. I assume everyone was awarded a victory, but I'm looking for things such as the proper number of battle stars for a soldiers ETO medal, did he earn a CIB or GCM, etc.

I assume this is something that Golden Arrow could tell me, but I was wondering if their is a less expensive option if this is all the information I want.

Thanks for the help in advance!

You're asking a pretty huge question. I'd recommend searching the forum for ways to research a service member, as that's what you're looking for. There are many ways, aside from the NPRC, to pull up information. On the other hand, sometimes you can't find anything...the trail goes cold. 

As far as finding the rest of the medals, we have a long, pinned thread on here where people can post to find medals that belong to the others they have from the same recipient. 

As an aside, caution should be taken with putting groups together...I am personally not a fan of adding awards (even missing "space fillers") to groups, and would probably not buy a group if I knew the seller was in the habit of putting "missing" medals in groups. If you do it for your own collection, just make sure you document it so collectors later on know what pieces were added (it's like putting uniforms back together...okay to some, frowned upon by others...)

Dave

ErwinRommel1940

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the reply. I see. I was hoping that there was some resource out there that lists out the awards similar to what I found in Momsen's documentation.

In regards to your concern, this is for display purposes only. Even if they awards are not his, it makes a nice display (IMO). If I ever decide to sell, I deconstruct the group back to the way it was when I bought it to avoid the concerns you outlined.

I don't have many groups that have additional decorations missing, I'm looking for more of the common stuff (ETO, CIB, GCM, etc.)  

Resources I've tried include: Ancestry, Fold3, NARA, FindAGrave, Battle Monuments Commission, newspapers.com and Hall of Valor. If anyone has a particular resource or resources that they have found useful, please let me know.

I have to agree with Dave, I‘m not a fan of putting groups together either. I would even feel uncomfortable adding one missing ribbon bar or device to a ribbon. You never know if the group does somehow end up on the market or somewhere else eventually and the new owner thinks it‘s all from one person. But if you want to complete a group just for a display, you could buy modern medals to go with the one you have. They look ok, are cheaper and in my opinion are much easier to identify as replacements if the group does end up being sold.

ErwinRommel1940

After thinking over Dave's comments, I've decided that I'll display "as is." Thanks for the input!