Desert Storm Bringbacks

Desertrat

Uncovered these in storage, so I thought I would share. The chest rig is dated 9/24/1986, unit marked 55th Brigade, and the soldiers name "Kader Hussein. The 55th Brigade was an armored brigade which was part of the 30th Infantry Division in the Iran Iraq War.

IMG_5710.jpg

IMG_5712.jpg

IMG_5713.jpg

Had some rear echelon MPs hassling some of our guys who were trying to board that freedom bird for the flight back CONUS.  Telling our guys what they could and couldn't bring home:  guys with empty AK mags told they could only have one ... couple guys had to give up russian tanker helmets ...  It was all poppycock, we pretty much knew these MPs were hoarding the prizes for themselves.

Rest of us had a lengthy wait before flying home, and so we all shipped most of our swag home in the mail.  I sent home four or five boxes full of Iraqi uniforms, head gear, helmets, field gear, etc ..  I gave a lot of it away to friends and family and strangers who had written me "any serviceman" letters.  Still have plenty here at home displayed in my office.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/15/2020 at 10:45 PM, bryang said:

Had some rear echelon MPs hassling some of our guys who were trying to board that freedom bird for the flight back CONUS.  Telling our guys what they could and couldn't bring home:  guys with empty AK mags told they could only have one ... couple guys had to give up russian tanker helmets ...  It was all poppycock, we pretty much knew these MPs were hoarding the prizes for themselves.

Rest of us had a lengthy wait before flying home, and so we all shipped most of our swag home in the mail.  I sent home four or five boxes full of Iraqi uniforms, head gear, helmets, field gear, etc ..  I gave a lot of it away to friends and family and strangers who had written me "any serviceman" letters.  Still have plenty here at home displayed in my office.

I remember the amnesty boxes at the airport before heading home.  They were overflowing with contraband.  I, too, had sent everything home beforehand.  We were told that if we were caught with anything bad, they would hold up the whole company and miss the flight.  In hindsight, it was probably BS, but no one wanted to risk it.  

You've got some really cool Gulf War bring-backs!

I've mounted a few of my own bring-backs in my home office.

Slide2.JPG

Slide11.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I really like how the helmets are displayed
I seen the Kubrick display in the Los Angeles art museum and they had the actual helmet from the cover of full metal jacket displayed the same way

Great thread
Thanks so much for sharing
Owen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk