Unmarked M5 bayonet very different

Misfit 45

I don't usually collect foreign bayonets, but this one was weird enough and cheap enough, so I got it.

The comparison bayonet is an M5 Aerial.  The unmarked M5 is always on the top. What drew me to this M5 was the unusual grips, I had not seen ones like this before.  Note the screw hole towards the cross guard.  Not only is it re-enforced, it is further away from the cross guard than usual (you'll see why in the skeleton view).   I also automatically assumed that it had the wrong screws, but upon closer inspection, regular M5 screws are too big for the holes in this oddball M5.  There are no markings inside the grips and they are a little roughly finished inside...as if they were ground to fit.

The blade looks very typical and very well made.

When I turned it over, I noticed the humongous release button. It's almost twice the usual size.

When I took it apart, the insides seem much stronger than the usual M5. The only marks on this bayonet are the numbers 1 and 2 respectively, on each side of the "slide guides" forming the slot.

Does anyone know who made this?  Actually, I think it's a sterile CIA bayonet which went with the super top secret folding M1 Garand which they carried under their trench coats.

Thanks for the help.

Marv

resized_IMG_2431.JPG

resized_IMG_2434.JPG

resized_IMG_2436.JPG

resized_IMG_2438.JPG

resized_IMG_2439.JPG

Marv- Most interesting!   Checked out Gary's book, because I am aware that grips were changed, and the release on the M5s was enlarged to accommodate the wearing of gloves.  But, as you stated, the grip screw holes are in a different location.  I took a look for comparison at the M6 bayonet, the screw holes look a little further forward. So here's my thought, guess, or theory.  The bayonet in question was made from an M6 blade, w/ an M5 guard, and an M6 release, basically a parts bayonet. My theory is probably all wet, since I have not dug out any M5, or M6 bayonets to compare yet. Just a thought, based on lack of a maker's stamp. SKIP

Just did some more checking, my theory is probably a little off. I don't know.  SKIP

If it's an M6 blade you should be able to see the tab left on the tang, (as a recoil stop), around the front edge of the slide guides. Either that or evidence of it having been removed. All the other M5/M6's I've seen from U.S. manufactures seem to use the same dimensions  keeper for the blade to guard connection.  Seems a little strange that someone went to this much trouble, as all the other foreign manufactured ones I've run across seem to prefer tack welding the tang to the guard.

To me, there is no reason to suspect that any individual put together this bayonet.  Re-engineering a proven design is the thing governments do. 

The blade keeper is the key to this. It's longer shape required that the release lever be widened to pass over the blade keeper when depressed.  This resulted in a release lever that had a much wider push button.  This wider button also required that the release lever be bent back to lay flush against tang.

After all that, the longer blade keeper required a whole new grip mold design to accommodate the change in the hole placement.

My first question was "who made this",  but I guess we have to start with,  has anyone ever seen an M5 like this before.

Thanks for your responses, I hope someone can come up with another one, (I'm sure they're out there).

Marv

I agree with you Marv.  I guess I approached it from a different direction.  It sure seems like a lot more than even a few would have been made after going through this much trouble.