Nickman983

Ebay 29th ID Helmt

Almost certainly the seller misreading the heat stamp.

I find it a bit odd that the bidding has stalled but there's still plenty of time left. Interested to see where this goes.

donation2020.gif

16 hours ago, Nickman983 said:

Almost certainly the seller misreading the heat stamp.

I find it a bit odd that the bidding has stalled but there's still plenty of time left. Interested to see where this goes.

I'm not too surprised about either. 

From my experience as well this bidding pattern seems pretty common. Early bidders get in on the hype and drive the price up while everyone else waits for the last second to place their bid. Like I said earlier 50% of the bids came from only one bidder.

Hunt

I am an amateur collector of US military items of the 20th century.

Looking for items related to:

-The Aleutian Island Campaign of WW2 and more specifically the Battle of Attu

-Items related to the 50th Combat Engineer Regiment/Battalion

-Items related to Wheelus Air Force Base Libya, particularly from 1958-1960

-WW2 items belonging to service members from Northern Virginia

-Cheap/Throwaway WW2 named uniforms

^^ PM ME!

Instagram: @surplus_central https://instagram.com/surplus_central/

eBay: http://www.ebay.com/usr/giovachm

A few observations. Obviously the jkash helmet is questionable (fake). The helmet in the Airborne museum in NC? Is it attributed? It could be a place holder as well (I don't know). I know of lots of museums that have new made or enhanced items for display. The helmet being discussed, I personally question it's authenticity (this means nothing as it's just my opinion), but, if everything is as WW2, any chance this helmet could have been acquired while still in England? Just a thought. 

41 minutes ago, iron bender said:

A few observations. Obviously the jkash helmet is questionable (fake). The helmet in the Airborne museum in NC? Is it attributed? It could be a place holder as well (I don't know). I know of lots of museums that have new made or enhanced items for display. The helmet being discussed, I personally question it's authenticity (this means nothing as it's just my opinion), but, if everything is as WW2, any chance this helmet could have been acquired while still in England? Just a thought. 

I guess it is a possibility but again we are really entering into a world of assumptions and theories without any real provenance, information, or proof. It would be one thing if there were other helmets like this or vet accounts of stuff like this happening, or other documented proof. But I really can't accept this as being even possibly real without any of that. It's one thing to repaint helmets in the field. But to think of the likelihood of repainting a 327 GIR helmet and then issuing that to a 29th ID soldier. How late in the war did the 29th paint decals on their helmets anyway? Looking at the top of the helmet too you can see where the new layer of paint has come off to reveal the old. The old paint has taken on a much blacker hue. If the newer layer of paint was painted at a similar time as the lower layer, wouldn't it have aged the same and both layers of paint end up with the same blackish hue? obviously paint color differed greatly during WW2, but I feel like the out layer of paint should be darker in appearance instead of the green apple color. 

That last point may not be entirely correct, I'm not as much of an expert on M1 helmet paint color. I've honestly associate the green apple color as being a later WW2 paint. But not sure in terms of the aging properties of it opposed to the earlier paints. It seems most original paint colors take on a darker green-black hue after 80 years of storage. 

If any of the decals had to be real, I'd say the 29th is fake and the 327 might be real. I don't know though, I'm going into that same realm of speculation now too.

I think it is definitely good to speculate, but in the end, all it is, is speculation without evidence. 

Hunt

^^ PM ME!

Unfortunately I don't believe there was any attribution on the helmet in the airborne musem, just the blurb on the 327th included in the picture. That being said, from what I can recall it was one of only a small handful of helmets behind glass and may have been the only FS/FB on display. The two other helmets I remember on display in cases were a KW 187th helmet and an ARVN helmet. It's definitely possible they were placeholders but beyond those three that I can recall every other helmet used in the displays were all refurbished RS/SB with repo chinstraps and little with little to no aging.

As for the helmet in question, the description only lists information on the helmet with no story. Based on. The sellers other items though I assume it was picked up in a local antique store/auction/estate/garage sale.

donation2020.gif

Another question I have (and do not know the answer to), were helmets retextured before repaint at any level during the war in area of operation? The bucket in question has a very heavy texture, certainly not factory. Germans did this regularly on a unit basis. Perhaps USQMD did this too. The texture on the 29th helmet seems intense. Just not something I've seen before. Simply observations on a very desirable helmet.

Another question I have (and do not know the answer to), were helmets retextured before repaint at any level during the war in area of operation? The bucket in question has a very heavy texture, certainly not factory. Germans did this regularly on a unit basis. Perhaps USQMD did this too. The texture on the 29th helmet seems intense. Just not something I've seen before. Simply observations on a very desirable helmet.

I noticed that too. I don’t exactly know the answer either. I would assume though that refurbishment paint of helmets in the field was not the same as used by manufacturers.

Speaking about my earlier post, I have a helmet which is front seam, swivel loop schleuter, which I believed might be a depot repaired/repainted helmet. The helmet has the sort of green apple paint color instead of the darker blackish paint. This paint color is very similar to my two other rear seam, swivel loop, manganese rim, ww2 produced schleuter helmets. the corking does not look any different then any other helmet I have though. Perhaps the green apple paint is a late war used paint color? From what I have seen, it looks like this type of paint color is only really seen on the late war helmets in my collection. Would like to see some other late war helmets as well. Also if anyone knows where the paint used for depot repaired helmets?

Hunt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^^ PM ME!

Ended up selling for $1300. Someone thought it stood enough of a chance to pay up but I would have expected it to go higher.

donation2020.gif

I had some discussions with a couple of people about this helmet and we had wonder if perhaps this soldier was a transfer from the Glider Infantry into a unit of the 29th— IIRC, the 327ths area of operation was in a different sector (Utah Beach, St. Come du Mont) than the 29th Division during Normandy and immediately beyond, they had no reason to cross paths.... so it’s hard to say what really happened here.

donation2011.gifdonation2018.gif

Interesting end. Looks like there were 3 new bidders that entered into the fold at the end of this one. The guy who bid the most didn't get it though. Wonder if a forum member got it.

As for the transfer I'd say it is possible, but I feel like a glider-trained infantrymen would not be transferred to a regular infantry unit. Maybe in occupation? But even then, it seems like glider infantrymen were still in enough of a demand they would stay in glider units. 

Hunt

^^ PM ME!

Generally when an item has to be "explained" it's not a very good sign, especially when it's an extremely rare piece. Just my nickles worth.

It will be interesting if we hear about this again.

With better pictures.

I like that Z19, that makes sense.

Apparently there was some serious doubt about this helmet.

And a couple of wishful thinkers.

Or maybe one smart guy who got a windfall?

donation2013.gif

I didn't see anything obviously wrong, except that it looked to me like a perfect fantasy piece.  Double painted, 2x highly desirable Normandy divisions, all it's missing is the follow me stripe. 

Eternal skeptic here.  I hope somebody did get lucky.

1 hour ago, manayunkman said:

Apparently there was some serious doubt about this helmet.

And a couple of wishful thinkers.

Or maybe one smart guy who got a windfall?

Exactly how I feel about this one

donation2020.gif

I would definitely like to see this helmet in hand. I also agree with the others said; a double desirable division should be approached with caution.

Pat

donation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif