Aviation crest?

Ilin1979

Is this 42nd aviation company crest? I cant find it in Asmic aviation catalog. The colors are orange and dark blue.

20200512_174731.jpg

AJ 1958 Trading Post says 42nd Div Avn

The example posted by patches says 42nd MP Co, same issue same page

My understanding is that it's the colour combinations on these "generic" designs that define the branch/unit. Orange (or gold) over Blue/Blue is AAF as far as I know. Yellow over Green/Green is MP, as per the second one above. I don't have my references so can't contribute with the rest of the branch/colour combinations but they should be easy enough to find.

Regards

Mike

• 5 weeks later...

Colors are golden orange/ultramarine blue for Army Air Corps.  Nominally this insignia is for the 42nd Division Aviation, but I think if you research this you will find it's a Class E insignia, made for collectors, part of the "National Guard Series", many spurious examples of which have bedevilled collectors since the late 1930s onwards.  Most of these were made for units that existed but never had DUIs, or for units that never existed at all.

I have 4 examples of this DUI, with the color variations orange over blue/blue over orange, yellow over blue, and blue over yellow.  All of mine are clutchback, one with a D22 hallmark.

The post-war US Army aviation units for the most part had nothing to do with pre-WW2 divisional aviation or observation squadrons (most of which when federalized at the start of WW2 ended up in the AAC/AAF and later as part of the USAF), so the post-WW2 42nd Aviation Company, or 42nd Aviation Battalion, or the 42nd CAB have nothing to do with this insignia, even if it were a legitimate DUI.

Also, the 42nd Division except for an HQ component did not exist between the two world wars, so it wouldn't have had a divisional aviation section.

The ASMIC aviation DUI catalog from March 73 does not catalog any of the pre-WW2 division aviation units, although the aviation Supplement 1 has some of them mixed in with a hodge-podge of AAC/AAF/USAF and Army aviation units.

ATCMan