My latest helmet: Gentex HGU-68/P

Flightpath

Flightpath

Hi, I posted this in the Latest finds section but thought it would be better here:

Last week a friend at work said that he had a helmet and oxygen mask that his brother gave him about 15 years ago, "you can have it if you want" :) 

He brought it in on Monday and to my surprise it was a really nice helmet.  It turned out to be a 1998 Gentex US Navy HGU-68/P in great condition with an unused MBU-5/P oxygen mask. All I know about it is that my friend´s brother was working with the NoAF (Norwegian Air Force) and brought it home one day, I have no idea why it is in Norway. There is a harness mounted adaptor on the end of the oxygen hose from 3 pin Gentex fitting to a 2 pin friction type. So it´s only an adaptor with no ejection seat oxygen connector, this might give a clue to it´s intended use....... 

tA8y5JT.jpg?2

3xYRp1E.jpg?3

Flightpath

A couple more photos..... It looks like the helmet was not used much, I might try to get an oxygen mask that suits it better like an MBU-12/P or MBU-14/P as the MBU-5/P is not really the correct era mask for the helmet, I have only seen a couple of photos of them in use together, both were in use by NASA T-38 pilots.

DYNFBGG.jpg

eBiM2VN.jpg

mohawkALSE

Id just be guessing but Id think it might have been used in one of their C-130s or P-3 aircraft.  Its a fixed wing helmet obviously, but also has a boom mic mount on the side.  Those aircraft alot of times will use the quick disconnect fitting to plug right into a walk around bottle or if in the cockpit as well vs using the 3 pin with a CRU-60 adapter that would be worn with a chute harness.  MBU-5, especially for a late 90s era helmet isn't too far fetched. The USAF def used em up to around 2008 for those who couldn't size a MBU-12 correctly.  Once the MBU-20 series started drying up the 12P inventory more they were used since they had better sizing than the 12 for some as well.  Europe especially used 5Ps a while as well.  Seeing the older style cloth covered CX-4707 cable on the mask sorta points Europe to me as well even though thats a 80s or later Scott made mask.   Very nice helmet set.

Flightpath

Thanks a lot for the info and rundown on dates of use etc. mowhawk, it´s great to find someone with some info on later flight helmets as I have mostly WW2 items, I love this helmet though! I´ll check for photos and info on NoAF Hercs and Orion flight gear and helmets!

So you think I should get a boom mike for it? If so, what type would suit it best?

cheers, John

mohawkALSE
46 minutes ago, Flightpath said:

Thanks a lot for the info and rundown on dates of use etc. mowhawk, it´s great to find someone with some info on later flight helmets as I have mostly WW2 items, I love this helmet though! I´ll check for photos and info on NoAF Hercs and Orion flight gear and helmets!

So you think I should get a boom mike for it? If so, what type would suit it best?

cheers, John

Id say just leave it as is.  It does have the round mount for a boom mic, but seeing no boom is present and the mask appears to have the only ICS cord, it probably never had a boom installed.   If it was setup for a boom, it would probably be the standard wire boom with a M-87 mic.  If one was installed the helmet would have had its own ICS cord to plug in without having the mask around or would have a cord that allowed the boom mic or mask mic to be switched easy.

Flightpath

Ok, I will leave it as is, the boom mount is unmarked and looks unused so you might be right about it never having a mic.