My War Corner

Hello, All,

I had been planning a WW2 manikin display for the last year and now the  shelter-in-place orders mandated by COVID-19 kept me inside to finish the job. The display could depict a 7th Army soldier in  later 1944 in Italy or Southern France, I suppose. Recently watched the WW2 US Army film "San Pietro" on Netflix . Several soldiers outfits resembled what I put together( except for the axe). Mostly it displays items I have acquired over time:

Double-buckle boots - belonged to a New Jersey doctor who served in the ETO and at Walter Reed Hospital.

Wool Shirt- belonged to my neighbor's Uncle Max who served with the 3rd Air Force.

M1941 field jacket (ID'd)  - Belonged to Joe P. of  PA who served four years as a hospital medic  from North Africa to Italy and France, then England and post-war on a hospital ship in the Philipines.

M36 musette bag (ID'd)  and canteen  - used by Frank K. of Somerset, NJ who served as an infantry Sergeant in Italy. His mess kit, repaired with a grenade pull-ring, is in the musette  bag.

Dog tags - Seymour S. of Pennsylvania, associated with the Manhattan Project in 1945 and post-war.  On the chain is a P38 can opener still secured with cloth tape.

Pistol belt -family item bought as surplus  in the 1950's and kept around ever since.

Trousers, helmet, binoculars case, suspenders, pouches - not attributed.

AsmalFlag.JPG.a2a8023ab8d006918f3adfc03f9bd324.JPG2031004077_ABackViewSmal.JPG.2eef7c85e5c1d92b2c4502335642dfd5.JPGAsmalMankin.JPG.1291bcb668b7fe1329be5419549619e4.JPG

Wonderful! I did a very similar setup, only with a cartridge belt rather than a pistol, for my infantry mannequin seeing as that is the time period my grandfather entered the 36th ID. Looks good!

GEN. David R. Atchinson- MO State Guard              ACW

PVT. John H. Drury- Co. A, 27th Ky IR                      ACW               Died of Typhoid

PVT. Henry E. Thomas- Co. I, 17th Ky IR                  ACW

PVT. Joseph E. Drury- Co. E, 356th IR, 89th ID       WWI                WIA

SGT. Edward P. Drury- 51st QM Training Co.           WWII

PFC. Delmer C. Koonter- Co. I, 142nd IR, 36th ID    WWII              WIA

SC3c Michael C. Drury- LCS (L) (3) 70                     WWII

SGT. Steven D. Koonter- 5th Cav, 1st Cav Div         Vietnam

SGT. John M. Drury- 227th AVN Bn. 1st Cav Div     Vietnam

Contact me with items from the 36th Infantry Division or any IDd uniforms of European Theater Infantry Divisions

Great resting pose on that mannequin, unlike lots of the stiff dummies out there! I especially like the attached helmet stand rather than a head which distracts less from the uniform/gear. Nice work! 

• 2 weeks later...