354th Tactical Fighter Wing Collection

mach_761

Hello all, first new topic here for me. I've been trying to focus my collection on all things related to the former Myrtle Beach Air Force Base, home of the 354 TFW. I like to share my collection so others can enjoy it as well, so here's the first of many posts to come. These are most of my patches for the Wing itself, not including squadron patches.

resized_20200328_181016-1.jpg

Thank you Randy. Here's two of the first squadron, 352nd Fighter Day / Tactical Fighter Squadron. This one is very hard to find any patches from.

resized_20200328_181727.jpg

Next up, some 353rd Tactical Fighter Squadron. First photo shown with a fuselage decal. Second one has some others plus close up view of the early patches.

resized_Screenshot_2020-05-12-23-41-00-1.png

resized_20200328_181553-1-1.jpg

Your 352s are both TFS era. The FDS one was much bigger, as were those from the other 3 squadrons.  here are some of mine, FDS top left. Under that, a Japan made TFS. Opposite the FDS is a US made TFS, with two Thai made ones from SEA below that. The two Thai ones were when they were part of the 35 TFW though.

Randy

img_2843.jpg

Randy those are all excellent patches, no wonder I can't find any! I really love the in country made squadron patches, especially SEA. Here's a few of my 356th as well, some missing here. FDS era on far right of the big group is a repro. Second photo shows different sizes, I love the big early patches too but they are not easy to find either. One of my favorites is the standard 356 design on far left with brown and tan colors, I think it's Saudi made.

resized_Screenshot_2020-05-16-19-35-47-1.png

resized_Screenshot_2020-05-16-19-35-57-1.png

Nice stuff! Just a heads-up, the second from left and second from right are also repros. I don't want to hijack your thread, but I think you might want to see these as well. First 3 left all MB F-100 era. The large TFS was a modified FDS as worn by the unit. Middle 4 are Misawa era, all are Japan made. Last 4 are back to MB again. The Darlings patch was done for unit wives.

Randy

img_2844.jpg

Yes, the second one from the right is the FDS one I was saying is a repro. You're saying this one is as well? I've tried to find another or any info on this one and have had no luck. A few other collectors suggested it looked Saudi made. Also are those all in your collection? That is an amazing collection, I certainly recognize a few of those from auctions I didn't win. I've looked everywhere for a Darlings patch and have had no luck yet.

resized_20200517_210733-1.jpg

resized_20200517_210754-1.jpg

I have a few of these as well, I like looking for the color variations of identical patches.

resized_20200517_210720-1.jpg

Here's one that just came in the mail. Think this one is likely 354th TFW but I have not found anything to confirm it yet.

resized_20200517_210400-1.jpg

Thanks, yes those are all from my collection. The only two that were won off eBay are the tinsel Misawa era ones. The tannish 356 was made in SEA in the last 20 years or so. The only 356 desert ones like the pair you have I recall seeing there were Saudi made. That doesn't mean they didn't redo them when they got home though, many units did. Your Pueblo one has K8 on top, which was Kunsan, where the 354 TFW was. It was active there 68-70, so yes, 354 related. Attached is a wing patch made during the 68-70 era as well.

354tfw 3.jpg

Those two tinsel ones are exactly what I recognized, those are some of the nicest squadron patches I've seen. Glad they went to a good home from the looks of it. I agree, I think the desert ones are probably from after they came home. All the ones I've seen are unused and look US made. That's what I was thinking, but I couldn't remember if there were other usaf wings stationed at Kunsan as well. That is another excellent patch, quite the collection. It's surprisingly tough to find the in country made wing patches. Also I just bought some things you might appreciate. Made a road trip to pick up a full set of fuselage decals from mbafb. Here's one for the 356th, patches just for size reference.

resized_20200518_174715-1.jpg

Those decals are neat, I remember applying some of those back in the day! I actually have sets like those I posted above for about every USAF fighter unit. I didn't put in all the aircraft or unofficial stuff. Just started a new job and it's taking up a lot of my time dealing with new federal /states laws and regulations. Go to: usmilitarypatches.com and check out the USAF section. I have a ton of stuff on there along with a few other guys. There are about 30,000 USAF patches on there. Contact me on the side if you want, thanks.

Randy

Here are the rest of the decals, and I actually have doubles of some. I knew I've seen your patches on one of the reference sites, just couldn't remember which one. I didn't realize who I was talking to! I'll send you a private message.

resized_20200523_114351-1.jpg

• 1 month later...
John DeLallo

Found this on-line, and know the fellow who posted it. Can anyone verify that Myrtle Beach Air Force Base Honor Guard used these old Winchester's rather than the M-1 Garand rifle typically used in the 60's, 70's, and beyond? I'm trying to establish the provenance of this Winchester. Here's a link https://www.gunbroker.com/item/874685506

• 9 months later...
On 7/20/2020 at 1:26 PM, John DeLallo said:

Found this on-line, and know the fellow who posted it. Can anyone verify that Myrtle Beach Air Force Base Honor Guard used these old Winchester's rather than the M-1 Garand rifle typically used in the 60's, 70's, and beyond? I'm trying to establish the provenance of this Winchester. Here's a link https://www.gunbroker.com/item/874685506

I did look at that listing while it was active but forgot to respond. That would be the first rifle I've ever seen marked for any USAF unit or wing, and I've certainly never seen one in reference to MBAFB before. Wish I could help with provenance, but that is a new one for me. I don't think I have seen any photos or mention of an Honor Guard at the base, so I wouldn't know about the type of rifle they'd use either. Definitely looks like one of the many unique items that were made on base for guys to take home. I have seen tons of plaques and artwork, seems every piece is unique. Maybe that was a personal rifle that he had marked to commemorate his time at Myrtle Beach?