IS THIS PURPLE HEART OFFICIAL ENGRAVED

WEAVER45

This is different then what I am used to seeing.  Is this an official government   engraved heart?

brodie.jpg

No, it's not. It appears to be machine engraved with large and small capital letters - not a pattern used by the government. 

Also, FWIW, it appears to be artificially aged as well...another sign that it's not good. 

BigJohn#3RD

Well someone put out some big bucks for the medal. $2300 + 20% to 23% commission for the online auction site used.

19 minutes ago, BigJohn#3RD said:

Well someone put out some big bucks for the medal. $2300 + 20% to 23% commission for the online auction site used.

Whoa! Do you have a screenshot of the auction? I'm entirely curious what this medal was claimed to be...because whatever it is, it's not.

Bruce Linz

Dave,

Here is what I found:

WWII Named US Army Purple Heart identified to James W. Brodie of New Jersey and was killed in actin on September 18th 1944. He was a member of the 101st Airborne Division. Purple Heart comes with blue coffin box and ribbons and rosette. Excellent condition James W Brodie was born on October 7, 1909. According to our records New Jersey was his home or enlistment state and Essex County included within the archival record. He had enlisted in the Army. Served during World War II. He had the rank of Sergeant. Service number was 32307228. Served with 101st Airborne Division, 502nd Parachute Infantry Regiment. Brodie experienced a traumatic event which resulted in loss of life on September 18, 1944. Recorded circumstances attributed to: "KIA - Killed in Action". Sgt James W Brodie served in the US Marine Corps in the early 1930's aboard the battleship USS Oklahoma. After the beginning of WWII, he went to rejoin the Marine Corps but they wanted younger men at the time, so he joined the US Army and volunteered for experimental parachute infantry. James W Brodie is buried or memorialized at Plot L Row 15 Grave 16, Netherlands American Cemetery, Margraten, Netherlands. This is an American Battle Monuments Commission location. He made 3 jumps during the war. James was killed in action on the day of his third jump. Name James W Brodie Born October 7, 1909 From Essex County, New Jersey War World War II Branch US Army Rank Sergeant Group 101st Airborne Division, 502nd Parachute Infantry Regiment Death September 18, 1944 Cause Hostile, Killed in Action Awarded Purple Heart
View on...

Date
09 May 2020
Estimate
$ 400 - 600
Sale Price
$ 2,300
Auction House

I took care of it...looks like it was a nice Purple Heart that someone engraved and attempted to age the reverse. 

Someone blew a couple grand on a bad medal... 

Here's the James W. Brodie medal from Milestone Auctions...

2020-05-12_16-39-39.jpg

2020-05-12_16-40-57.jpg

14 minutes ago, WEAVER45 said:

Has anyone seen this  engraving style  on any other fake medals?

It doesn't ring a bell to me, though it's close to the old BobVN3 engraving. To be honest, it's poorly done...to me, someone tried to engrave it, but used the wrong font, wrong font size mixture (they tried to duplicate hand-engraving) and then it looks like they tried to blacken the letters, but were unsuccessful and it turned out just "antiquing" the back of the medal (the back should be the same color as the front, which is proper...and the backs of Purple Hearts were never, ever "antiqued" or aged). (As a side note, someone's going to say "oh, but the early Navy Purple Hearts are known to lose their finish on the reverse and develop a dark patina..." but that has nothing to do with the artificial aging on the reverse of this one...) 

BigJohn#3RD
17 hours ago, Bruce Linz said:

Dave,

Here is what I found:

WWII Named US Army Purple Heart identified to James W. Brodie of New Jersey and was killed in actin on September 18th 1944. He was a member of the 101st Airborne Division. Purple Heart comes with blue coffin box and ribbons and rosette. Excellent condition James W Brodie was born on October 7, 1909. According to our records New Jersey was his home or enlistment state and Essex County included within the archival record. He had enlisted in the Army. Served during World War II. He had the rank of Sergeant. Service number was 32307228. Served with 101st Airborne Division, 502nd Parachute Infantry Regiment. Brodie experienced a traumatic event which resulted in loss of life on September 18, 1944. Recorded circumstances attributed to: "KIA - Killed in Action". Sgt James W Brodie served in the US Marine Corps in the early 1930's aboard the battleship USS Oklahoma. After the beginning of WWII, he went to rejoin the Marine Corps but they wanted younger men at the time, so he joined the US Army and volunteered for experimental parachute infantry. James W Brodie is buried or memorialized at Plot L Row 15 Grave 16, Netherlands American Cemetery, Margraten, Netherlands. This is an American Battle Monuments Commission location. He made 3 jumps during the war. James was killed in action on the day of his third jump. Name James W Brodie Born October 7, 1909 From Essex County, New Jersey War World War II Branch US Army Rank Sergeant Group 101st Airborne Division, 502nd Parachute Infantry Regiment Death September 18, 1944 Cause Hostile, Killed in Action Awarded Purple Heart
View on...

Date
09 May 2020
Estimate
$ 400 - 600
Sale Price
$ 2,300
Auction House

I saw this and the first thing that hit me was the "third jump" on 18 September 1944 would have been problematic for a 502nd trooper because this was only the second 'combat jump for the101st at that time. A few Pathfinders would jump into Bastogne in December 44, and a few such as Nixon would make the Rhine jump with the 17th Airborne Division in March 45. So that seemed a red flag. I admit I did not quite recognize the machine engraving when I saw this with the large and small letters. I appreciate Dave's pointing that out. Hopefully who ever "won it" can decline the medal.

On a side note, I received my copy of Dave's book the other day and find it fantastic. I appreciate his work and all the forum members who collections appeared in it. It is truly a book to have in any collection related to U.S. Military men, Soldiers, Sailors, Marines, Airmen, and Coast Guard  who gave their lives for this country in the Second World War and the stories of the families who were left behind are just a relivent to the stories of the medals earned. I was pleasantly surprised that he included examples of the accolades given by the United States and French Governments for those who perished in the First World War and the 5th Marine Lt. Grouping, who was KIA on 5 June 1918 that Robert Wilson has so generously allowed to be included as well. If you think this is an advertisement for Dave's book, YES IT IS!