What do I have here?

carthage light guard

carthage light guard

I have to admit that my knowledge of World War II US helmets is limited.  Can anyone shed light on this front-seam, swivel bail helmet?  

Any info. will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

resized_IMG_2768.JPG

resized_IMG_2769.JPG

Looks like you have a nice wartime but late war navy shell. Can’t tell you what the markings mean, but that’s a nice shell 

FT.Monmouth1943

Nice Navy lid. 25 is the gun number on the ship, and RT LD'R might stand for Reload Team Leader.

- Jakob

Source: Wikipedia USS Mississippi (BB-41)

During the Gilbert and Marshall Islands campaign on 20 November 1943, while Mississippi was bombarding Makin, there was again an explosion in her No. 2 turret, this time killing 43 men.

Salvage Sailor
3 hours ago, FT.Monmouth1943 said:

Nice Navy lid. 25 is the gun number on the ship, and RT LD'R might stand for Reload Team Leader.

- Jakob

+1

I'd say it's the Right Hand loader for Mount 25 (Gun 25), an AA gun mount aboard ship.  These were crew served single & twin gun mounts that were numbered according to their size and location on the weather decks.  Odd numbers to starboard, even numbers to port, starting at the bow and moving towards the stern.

Mount 51, 52, etc were 5" mounts (5"/38 etc)

Mount 41, 42, etc were 40mm mounts (Bofors)

Mount 31, 32, etc were 3" Mounts (3"/50, 3"70, etc)

Mount 21, 22, etc were 20mm mounts (1.1 inch Oerlikon, the Chicago Piano)

What an incredible coincidence that az finds a Navy Gunnery Officer by the name of RT Leader!  But I would agree with FT. Monmouth and Savage, because we would think that if this was for Leader, it would of said LEADER and probably LTJG rather than one of the common military abbreviations for Leader.

Nope, not a chance that this was Leaders helmet. He died in Dec. of '43, this "swivel" loop helmet first became available to servicemen in early '44. 

Just to note that LT Leader was killed in November 1943, just about the time that the swivel bail (loop) was replacing fixed bails (loops) at the factory. 

Im thinking this is a LOADERs helmet.....Gun Mount 25 Right Loader ? 

followed this when first posted and have to admit its a coincidence with the name but I have never seen a full name abbreviated as such...and seen longer name combinations

I believe the others on here have it correct in that it's NOT LtJg Richard T. Leader's helmet. 

That said, now we're aware of his service and sacrifice to our country.  God Bless him and rest in peace, along with the rest of those that lost their lives that day.  They're not forgotten.