Hillersleben 1945 – Man vs. Machine

Proud Kraut

Hey Lars, your figures came out great. Now to choreograph the action in your diorama. I'm looking forward to the finished project, since its something different.

Semper Fi.

Manny

General Apathy
On 7/5/2020 at 12:56 PM, earlymb said:

Not sure about magnetic mines, but I think they did use socks filled with charges and covered in grease or something else sticky.

The bags used were simple rectangular bags with a shoulderstrap and closed with strings, if you do a search for 'satchel charge' you should find some examples.

Hi Proud Kraut, I see one of your men is carrying a WWII German magnetic mine in his hands, you also have the one with a satchel charge.

Here's an early war photograph showing grease covered sock charges that earlyMB mentions, an idea I don't think was ever really used.

regards lewis.

.5f9d833a566bf676ce25e7e43ff94b32.jpg.5f584a1de91ff212577ff7e923cd03b6.jpg

Thanks very much guys and thank you Lewis for adding this picture!  And yes, I would like to know as well if they ever used these against tanks.

The figures are completed now and I´ll continue with the (smaller) base this week.

Because the underground (a picture frame) is somewhat flexible I used cardboard plates instead of plaster to build the base. I glued these on the wooden panel and filled the gaps with putty.

KK81a.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks very much Kat! As I have wrote I bought the both ruins already built and painted. After regarding the last pics a second time I decided to go back a step with the ruins. They are looking way too monotonous.  First they received a very thin light grey color wash. Before and after pictures of the front...

KK87.jpg

KK89.jpg

Very nice Lars. Your weathering of this wall and the main center beam is outstanding. I can see that the rubble is coming along nicely too.

Semper Fi.

Manny

Thanks very much, Manny!

I built the small base for the bazooka team today. They take positions on a burst concrete wall. Building concrete wall rubble is very easy. All you need is a small piece of styro e.g. as base, plaster and some pieces of wire.

First cover the styro with plaster.

KK94.jpg

KK95.jpg

KK96.jpg

Stick the pieces of wire into the broken edge of the styro base. Then airbrush or paint the styro with light grey acrylics.

Edges, holes and cracks are painted with darker grey color. Pieces of wire are painted with rust pigments or dark red color.

Now let everything dry before weathering the concrete.

KK97.jpg

KK98.jpg

On 9/15/2020 at 1:10 PM, Proud Kraut said:

Manny, thank you for your kind words! The ruin on the right, now gutted.

KK92.jpg

KK93.jpg

Wonderful! Really well done!   That is probably what it would look like if I tried to build it to look new.  

Excellent rendering of the passing of the satchel charge. The figures look great, the rubble and burnt out building look awesome and I like the huge leaking pipe on the ground. The stains from the leaking pipe add a real sense of realism. It's coming along very nicely.

Semper Fi.

Manny

Guys, I want to thank you all very much for your kind feedback!

Some new kits arrived recently so I have had to hurry with the Kaiserkaefer dio. I finished it yesterday and here are the final pics of the dio. Thanks again very much for your kind words, I really appreciate it!

KK 103.jpg

KK 107.jpg

KK 108.jpg

KK 110.jpg

KK 111.jpg

KK 111a.jpg

KK 112.jpg