Hillersleben 1945 – Man vs. Machine

Proud Kraut

Proud Kraut

Theme of the diorama I want to build is a small episode that takes place near Magdeburg at the end of WW II 75 years ago. On April, 13th 1945 elements of 2nd Armored Division moved eastwards through Saxony-Anhalt. They reached Hillersleben, a Wehrmacht experimental plant (Heeresversuchsanstalt) northern Magdeburg. Referring to the official records, which are still classified, Hillersleben was already abandoned and occupied without any resistance.

Now, USMF reporters have had the chance to meet 99 years old WW II veteran and Silver Star recipient, 1st Sergeant (ret.) William “Willy” Smith. Here´s his version of the story:

My company arrived at Hillersleben around midday. It was pretty clear the Wehrmacht had left the area in a hurry. We searched the plant, couldn´t find anybody, and returned to the main building. Suddenly all hell broke loose. We were attacked by a ...some kind of machine. It was like nothing we’d ever seen before. Our platoon suffered heavy losses but finally we kicked its a**s. As far as I recall, by the time we were done we completely blew the thing up. Our CO was not amused. He told us not to say a single word about what happened to anyone. "Everything is classified" he said. I can´t tell you exactly was it was but I`m glad I survived, especially so near to the end of the war. One month later after the surrender, I was awarded the Silver Star.”

Welcome to my first dual-forum project. I´ll post the build of the dio and the U.S elements here. You can follow up the build of the secret German war machine at the World Militaria Forum.

https://www.worldmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/316434-hillersleben-1945-%E2%80%93-sdkfz-553-%E2%80%9Ckaiserkaefer%E2%80%9D/

So here are the U.S. figure sets, I´ll use for the dio.

US1.jpg

This should be very interesting. You definitely you have my interest here as this looks like a mystery. You have three very good figures boxes.

Semper Fi.

Manny

13 hours ago, mikie said:

This sounds like it's worth popping some corn for. 

Mikie

??

Proud Kraut
2 hours ago, manayunkman said:

Will they have any futuristic weapons?

Yes they will:

https://www.worldmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/316434-hillersleben-1945-%E2%80%93-sdkfz-553-%E2%80%9Ckaiserkaefer%E2%80%9D/

manayunkman

Not that I’m aware of.

My thought is if the Germans are more advanced in 1945 so too the allied forces.

Proud Kraut

All 4 legs of the war machine completed (I´m posting the progress here until our WMF site is fully operational again).

KK13.jpg

23 hours ago, Proud Kraut said:

All 4 legs of the war machine completed (I´m posting the progress here until our WMF site is fully operational again).

KK13.jpg

Hey Lars, nice work so far. This looks like a very interesting build. BTW what's going on with WMF?

Proud Kraut

Thanks Manny!

As announced by Forum Manager: WMF is moved to a new server and will be configurated soon.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/342335-please-read-about-the-move-to-the-new-server/

• 2 weeks later...
Proud Kraut

While the KaiserKaefer is awaiting it´s coating I`m thinking about further details of the dio. Because the beast can´t use it´s main weapons in this close combat scene he´s attacking an U.S. vehicle by steping on it´s front hood. Don´t know if I choose the halftrack...

KK30.jpg

KK29.jpg

Very nice Lars. IMO the halftrack makes for a more impactful diorama on the power of this machine.

Semper Fi.

Manny

Proud Kraut

Great! So it will be the Halftrack. Destroying it seems to be much more difficult than building one.

KK33.jpg

KK34.jpg

Proud Kraut

Thank you! Airbrush day. The KK received a first coat of Vallejo RAL 6003 (medium). The Halftrack was painted with olive drab.

KK36.jpg