Hillersleben 1945 – Man vs. Machine

Proud Kraut

Old Marine

That's a good layout.  The buildings focus your eyes on the action.  It's great watching your progress.  The T-28 is great.  

My 2 cents: Why not put both vehicles in the dio? The half-track suddenly encountering the Hillersleben, like you originally envisioned it, the US infantry in action with the T-28 right behind the half-track in the convoy. Like I said, just my 2 cents. 

Semper Fi.

Manny

Proud Kraut

@mikie: They are already sold! As far as I remember the name of the buyer was "C. Norris". 😁

@Manny: Yes, I have thought about it. After some rehearsals I think I leave it without the T28. The additional tank would "overload" the dio and it would change the whole story ("Men vs. Machine") into "Machine vs. Machine".

Thanks for your comments, guys!

Proud Kraut

Today I need your support regarding two questions.

1. Did the US Army use any magnetic anti tank mines during WW II in the ETO? I have found several mines online (including those Dennis is building his St. Vith vignette with) but still don´t know, if they are magnetic.

2. How did a blasting charge or it´s bag which was used by Infantry or Engineer units look like in WWII?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Not sure about magnetic mines, but I think they did use socks filled with charges and covered in grease or something else sticky.

The bags used were simple rectangular bags with a shoulderstrap and closed with strings, if you do a search for 'satchel charge' you should find some examples.

On 7/4/2020 at 4:08 AM, Proud Kraut said:

@mikie: They are already sold! As far as I remember the name of the buyer was "C. Norris". 😁

@Manny: Yes, I have thought about it. After some rehearsals I think I leave it without the T28. The additional tank would "overload" the dio and it would change the whole story ("Men vs. Machine") into "Machine vs. Machine".

Thanks for your comments, guys!

You are absolutely correct Lars. Good call.

Semper Fi.

Manny

17 hours ago, earlymb said:

Not sure about magnetic mines, but I think they did use socks filled with charges and covered in grease or something else sticky.

The bags used were simple rectangular bags with a shoulderstrap and closed with strings, if you do a search for 'satchel charge' you should find some examples.

I think I saw one for sale on the forum this morning. it was one of several items somebody posted today. 

Mikie

Proud Kraut

Thank you all for your input, I think I found something that will work!

Meanwhile I finished the assembly of the (19!) figures. Once again the halfttrack team.

KK66b.jpg

Proud Kraut

Not to forget those who engage with one of the Goliaths, covering it´s optic. ("team bucket").

KK71.jpg

Wow Lars, Dennis is right, the use of the bucket is great. I see you let your artistic inspirations take over and you've come up with a very nice scene. I smiled with delight when I saw it. The figures are all great.

Semper Fi.

Manny

Add me to the list of bucket admirers. I laughed out loud when I saw it. Brilliant! Make sure that gets into the movie.

Mikie

The bucket is great! And would probably be quite effective :)

I would just change the angle of the HT a bit, like it rounded the corner and then came face-to-face with the Kafer; unless it was parked there to wait for the combat teams?

Proud Kraut
10 hours ago, earlymb said:

The bucket is great! And would probably be quite effective :)

I would just change the angle of the HT a bit, like it rounded the corner and then came face-to-face with the Kafer; unless it was parked there to wait for the combat teams?

Good hint, I´ll consider that.  Thank you all for your kind feedback!

• 4 weeks later...
Proud Kraut

Summer holidays are over and I have started to paint the figures. Realized too late that I have a mix of soldiers with M41 and M43 field jackets. The color of the red brown trousers is a little bit "off" as well. I have to fix that.

KK74.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Only slow progress on the figures but I hope I`ll finish them next week. Meanwhile I`m looking out for a smaller base since the initial one is too large for the setting.

KK75.jpg

Still at work on the figures. Especially building the rifle slings is a nerve-racking procedure. Some more details to paint. Of course I`m thinking of a patch for the platoon...

KK80.jpg

KK81.jpg