WW2 US Foot Wear

huntssurplus

huntssurplus

Hello,

Another question I have, anyone have a good reference for US WW2 shoes, for all branches Field and Dress? I have Stanton's book on WW2 Army Uniforms, but his information on shoes isn't fully what I'm looking for. I need more information on US Army, but it would be nice for all branches too. Seems like there isn't too much information out there. 

I would also like information to tell the difference between WW2 manufactured and post war. I know a lot of WW2 boots ended up being painted black and used post war, but it can be hard to tell when it is just aged leather, or post war painted. And was this a common practice, or isolated to a much lesser stock of Shoes/boots?

I've been using this website as a reference: http://www.usww2uniforms.com/index.html  It can be hard to navigate though without more prior knowledge on what exactly to look for.

Thanks for the help!
Hunt

iron bender

Quick pics so not the best. I've found this to be a very generic fine reference to WW2 USGI stuff used in the ETO. It has a nice 'smattering' of GI service and dress boots throughout. For example they cover winter, armor, airborne footwear in those sections. The second addition incorporates more (Brit Made and others) . Not saying this is an end all reference to WW2 GI stuff, just a good primer with color pics, reasonable descriptions. Harlan Glenn also has several nice collector books on USMC WW2 gear. I'm sure there are a hundred others.

IMG_2342.JPG

IMG_2343.JPG

huntssurplus

Thanks a lot for the reference book! I'll look into purchasing it! Looks like a good book to add to my reference library!

Hunt