Jungle Jacket Material Question

wildcat123

wildcat123

Picked up what I think is a third pattern jungle jacket.  Label shows a cotton/ rayon construction... any info on these?  Used to seeing these in cotton.35FE021C-3A0F-4DFD-A030-B0CF4552BD61.jpeg.63a7f0d7c50fe7023926e07a0924ded5.jpeg

A DPSC or Defense Personal Supply Center marked tag, believe this one with the rayon may be a 1971 made one, here they just changed the material content, all the ones we seen, even the rip stops are 100% Cotton, and have no DPSC in the nomenclature, however with the DSA there will date before 1977 as after that the new code is DLA for Defense Logistics Agency.

Here's some talks on these.

Longbranch

There had to have been a reason for the change to 50/50 cotton/rayon. Also, why produce a jungle uniform from non-ripstop fabric in 1971, several years after the ripstop material was the standard? Weird uniform. I wonder how many were produced like this under this DPSC contract? 

3 hours ago, patches said:

Are these DPSC NON RIP STOP?

Spotted another DPSC Tropical Coat, this one is NON RIP STOP.

ik.png.2a0974c0085c78f70a4fdb7d4ef46c96.png

phpnmPsVmPM.jpg

Longbranch

DPSC had it's own clothing factory and was able to produce small runs of uniforms as required. As a member mentioned above, this is why these don't have the typical contract numbers with the fiscal year as part of the contract number, as they were not procured by the DPSC, but were actually manufactured by the DPSC.

The "Defense Industry Bulletin" from August, 1969 states: 

"DPSC also operates a clothing factory which manufactures orders normally too small for industry contractors, pilot models for research and development, and special measurement garments."

The DPSC's clothing factory appears to have been closed in 1993 after it was used to produce desert uniforms to fill the shortage that occurred during Operation Desert Shield/Storm.

It's very possible that these 50/50 rayon/cotton uniforms are experimental/test garments produced so the military could evaluate different fabrics for the jungle uniforms.

huntssurplus

Perhaps it was later made, later 1970's early 1980s? I know that many veterans preferred the OD uniforms to the newer BDU's. Especially among members of the 101st AB in the early 1980s. Could it have been a shorter run in the post-vietnam/early 1980's era? 

Hunt

10 hours ago, huntssurplus said:

Perhaps it was later made, later 1970's early 1980s? I know that many veterans preferred the OD uniforms to the newer BDU's. Especially among members of the 101st AB in the early 1980s. Could it have been a shorter run in the post-vietnam/early 1980's era? 

Hunt

We would say unlikely since by the late 70s there were examples being made of an OD version of the RDF Coat, and this was worn to a fair degree by those units allowed or prescribed to wear this type, OD or Cammies back then even after the new BDUs came out.

Longbranch

Yes, by the late 70s the DSA became the DLA, so the reference to DSA On the tag dates this to 1977 or before.

Here is another DPSC manufactured jacket (the “mosquito resistant” variant), referenced in another thread here at USMF and with solid provenance that it was a test garment. 

It is also discussed at this website:

http://www.vietnamgear.com/kit.aspx?kit=687

Roughly speaking, the design of this rayon jacket is what you would find most commonly on DSA 68 dated jungle jackets (sleeve gussets, no loop in neck, one pen pocket, etc..). Late production poplin ERDL is the same I believe. And then the sleeve gusset is seen dropped on DSA 69.

I think that’s gonna give you the best idea on when these are from.