Vietnam Battle Ia Drang Valley 1/7th Cavalry Capt. John Herren Jungle Fatigues

mdk0911

all,

I think the jacket is the real deal - I'm not going to bid as I don't collect Vietnam uniforms

If real - hope someone from the forum can bid and win?

here is the link https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vietnam-Battle-Ia-Drang-Valley-1-7th-Cavalry-Capt-John-Herren-Jungle-Fatigues/202982731867?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

riflegreen297

Is this your auction?  Just curious as you are in Eastern PA as is this auction?  If not, maybe your close enough to check them out. 

1 hour ago, riflegreen297 said:

Is this your auction?  Just curious as you are in Eastern PA as is this auction?  If not, maybe your close enough to check them out. 

no not my auction - on Ebay

Good afternoon all.  I've been following the auction and related thread concerning these uniforms.  Have given serious thought as to whether or not to post and what that post should say.  The letter from Capt Herren is addressed to a SFC House.  House is a seller on ebay (rkhouse) from Woodbridge, Va.  Mr. House is known amongst modern collectors to sell humped up / embellished DCUs etc.  My recommendation would be to execute due diligence and check his past eBay sales for not only modern but Vietnam era uniforms.

Bellumbill

Well the letter from Herren is a nice document to have and I really have no reason to not believe him.  I would be happier if the name tag were not removed on the 1st pattern jacket.  I would also be more comfortable if there was a photo of him wearing the jacket either at Ia Drang or just before it.  I have seen one photo of him labeled as "on the way to Vietnam" and "training in Panama" where Herren is wearing his OD sateens.  I have seen a few photos of 1st pattern jackets worn at Ia Drang and one with subdued insignia - Lt. Nadal conferring with Hal Moore - but hard to say for sure if the photo was taken at Ia Drang.  That's the problem, of the photos I can verify are from the actual battle I see only one guy wearing  a 1st pattern jacket and that is Plumley.   All the other photos is see are soldiers wearing OD #7 sateens.  I have no doubt immediately after the Ia Drang battle they were all issued new 1st pattern fatigues - many of the post battle medal ceremonies show them in those uniforms.  So, there is no doubt Herren's jacket was worn in many battles with the 1st Cav. and perhaps after all these years his memory as to exactly what he wore that day are unreliable?   If I could grab the jacket for a few hundred dollars worth the risk but if goes over 500 or more I would be looking for more evidence.  Just my opinion and preference.  

Best,

Bill 

28 minutes ago, BagmanL6 said:

Good afternoon all.  I've been following the auction and related thread concerning these uniforms.  Have given serious thought as to whether or not to post and what that post should say.  The letter from Capt Herren is addressed to a SFC House.  House is a seller on ebay (rkhouse) from Woodbridge, Va.  Mr. House is known amongst modern collectors to sell humped up / embellished DCUs etc.  My recommendation would be to execute due diligence and check his past eBay sales for not only modern but Vietnam era uniforms.

I agree but I did let him know that the kabar that he was selling and had listed from WWII and stated came from a china marine was in fact a 1970's to 1980's kabar

he thanked me and ended the listing but I agree look over the above auction carefully!

• 2 weeks later...