77th ID NG Question

huntssurplus

huntssurplus

Hello

I have a question about the 77th Infantry Division Post-WW2 as a National Guard Unit. After the end of WW2 the 77th ID was inactivated in Japan, but the 307th Infantry Regiment of the 77th ID was activated in December of 1946 as a part of the Organized Reserve. My question is, would members of the 307th Infantry Regiment wear the 77th ID as a shoulder patch during their time post-war with the organized reserves? Are there any other post war units that would have worn the 77th ID Insignia?

Thanks

Hunt

The 77th Infantry Division was never a National Guard organization. It was reactivated after WW2 in the Organized Reserve, which later became the Army Reserve. The lineage is now carried by the 77th Sustainment Brigade. You can see that lineage on the US Army Center of Military History website.

The New York City based 77th Infantry Division as stated was in the Army Reserves, and as a full combat division, during the late 40s till the late 50s it had all it's tradional sub units, after 1958 like all the remaining reserve infantry divisions, it was reorganized under the PENTOMIC structure and under the Combat Army Regimental System or CARS, and thus had a load of Regular Army numbered CARS units assigned to it, confusing right!

huntssurplus

So the 77th was a reserve unit immediate post WW2? I’m guessing they would have still use the 77th unit insignia patch? Were they active in the 1946-1949 era?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, huntssurplus said:

So the 77th was a reserve unit immediate post WW2? I’m guessing they would have still use the 77th unit insignia patch? Were they active in the 1946-1949 era?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes and Yes

Here's a early 1960s photo from Division HQ, GI on left with liner is one Morris Goldman, a WWII Combat Infantry Vet of the 100th Inf Div, he retired from the Army alltogether in 1984! The old Statue of Liberty Division was inactivated in December 1965, no more reserve infantry divisions anymore. In 1968 the Army formed a new type of unit for the reserves, the Army Command, this was to take the place of those Administrative Army Corps that started to be inactivated, these Corps generally controlled reserve units of the support type mainly, the old inactivated reserve infantry divisions were used , the 77th Army Command, or 77th ARCOM was formed, now they wore the patch, though they took no  campaign credits or decorations/honors of the old 77rth Inf Div, have no units traditional in them, and have a new flag.

goldman.PNG

You can very easily see the lineage on the US Army Center of Military History website (look up the 77th Sustainment Brigade). It will mostly answer your questions. You can see information about who wears the SSI on the US Army Institute of Heraldry website.

huntssurplus

Okay thank you both! The first place I looked was Wikipedia which didn't mention them being reactivated in 1946 as a Reserve Division! Thanks for the help!

Hunt