Another Chin Strap Question

Mustang.CDR

Mustang.CDR

My M1 helmet with heat stamp 866B has this chin strap that does not look like any other I can find. Can anyone identify this style. 

Helmet chin strap.jpg

Nickman983

That's a double hook chinstrap. Towards the end of WWII when the T1 attachment was being produced some helmets were made with both the old style J hook and the new style hook.

I have one with the same hardware setup as yours, I believe mine is heat stamp 1197B.

Note that the T1 attachment can be added to any chin strap, as it has a gap in the cross bar that goes underneath the strap loop at the top.  It can be removed just as easily.

Nickman983

I'm not 100% certain but it's possible that the factory already had chinstraps made with the old jhook attached. Rather than making new ones with the T-1 jhook it would make sense to use up existing stock and attach the T-1 jhook to the current supply of chinstraps before making new ones.

14 hours ago, Nickman983 said:

I'm not 100% certain but it's possible that the factory already had chinstraps made with the old jhook attached. Rather than making new ones with the T-1 jhook it would make sense to use up existing stock and attach the T-1 jhook to the current supply of chinstraps before making new ones.

That's very sensible, great answer, we then can gather the T1 hook was simply added by the individual as it became available.