Question on Navy Petty Officer Sleeve Rank with no stripes

Capt.Confederacy

Capt.Confederacy

In a lot of patches I recently acquired, I received 2 wool Navy sleeve rank insignias.  The mystery is that neither of them possess a single stripe.  While Navy items aren't a specialty of mine, I've never seen these patches without any stripes.  I thought that maybe the lower part had been damaged (moths, etc.) and someone just cut that part off, but they look like these were cut at the factory. 

Does anyone know if insignia like these were used for anything officially or were they just cut down by someone before me?

Thanks in advance.2004797445_NavyInsigniaLot.jpg.f7d3727462cb6c3d02d18042efcf6532.jpg

David Minton

There was a short-lived experiment around 1948 or so to move from one piece ratings to two pieces: one piece with the eagle and specialty mark, and the other with chevrons. You will come across separate patches with between and one three chevrons that would go with the patches you posted.

This program would have served two benefits:

1. on promotion, a sailor would only need to replace the chevrons, which would be less work, and presumably less cost.

2. manufacturers and sellers would be able to cut over 60% of the necessary products, since now they wouldn't have to manufacture and inventory three versions for each rating, but only one, plus three with the various number of chevrons (for each uniform) to go with all ratings. Off the top of my head there were maybe 75 different ratings at that time, so not insignificant cut in inventory.

Despite the apparent advantages, the program was quickly cut. My guess is the two piece badge did not look as presentable once actually sewn on the uniforms.

PS: both of you patches are upside-down. The eagles should be facing left.

Capt.Confederacy

Thank you for your help.  I thought it looked like they were made deliberately that way.

Thanks again.