USMC Advisors to the VNMC, Wearing of VNMC Rank

SimonLMoore

SimonLMoore

Hi all, It's been a while since I've posted here, and I come with a query regarding USMC advisors in Vietnam which has been a growing interest of mine over the last 6 months or so. 

I've noticed in several photos of USMC advisors wearing VNMC rank as well as their US rank it would appear the VNMC insignia is one rank up in terms of equivalency. Was this standard practice? I know wearing Vietnamese rank insignia was common amongst advisors but I always assumed it to be of the equivalent grade, not one rank higher.

In the photo attached the two USMC Captains appear to be wearing VNMC Major insignia and the Lieutenant VNMC Captain insignia. Any further advice anyone may have on this would be much appreciated! Photo from pintrest. Photo source: unknown.

I have done a fair bit of reading around the subject and so far I've not been able to discover regs governing this which is really what I'm hoping to discover.

16bc5d86d0e923e5cd11a5e088165959.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
SgtMaddoxUSMC

Pretty interesting... Reminds me of the Marines who served in Haiti and Nicaragua in the earlier half of the 20th century.  They wore ranks of chevrons and crescents to denote their Gd'H or GN rank while serving in the constabularies.

• 2 years later...

Hello Gents,  For those that dont know me, MSgt Dan Whitton USMC(Ret),  USMC Infantry Related Militaria 1875-Vietnam Collector for over 44 years and VNMC Advisor 1954-1975 Uniform/Gear/Photos/Paperwork Historian/Collector for over 33 years now.

I will open a new forum reference section on  VNMC Advisor Uniforms, etc as soon as I figure out the forums system.  One of these days I will get a reference book published for collectors since I have been completely retired for over 10 years now & my days are on my own schedule.

On the question of US Marine Advisor's wearing VNMC rank,   They wore both VNMC Rank and sometimes ARVN Army rank, either on their Uniform Shirt center breast (As shown in above photo), or Shoulder Slide on Rank on their Shoulder Epaulets, or Right side pocket flap of their shirt.  They would also wear it on their Berets (ARVN Army rank equivalent), Covers (ARVN Army & VNMC rank), and Boonies (ARVN Army & VNMC rank).  This practice varied from year to year, as well as operational areas and was normally based on what their VNMC Counterpart did.  The US Marine Advisor ALWAYS wore his equivalent South Vietnamese Rank.  The picture above is from 1966, two USMC Captains, wearing VNMC Capt's Rank and one USMC 1stLt wearing VNMC 1stLt Rank.  There was a size width difference between WO to Capt and Maj to Col in the VNMC rank insignia stripe width, junior officer's stripe was a smaller width, senior officers was twice as wide.

Watch for my upcoming VNMC Advisors uniforms reference section, it will clarify many misconceptions about the uniform patterns, etc.

Semper Fidelis,  Dan