Lost Gold of WWII TV series

schmooser

schmooser

Digging for plundered gold on Luzon in the Philippines, the searchers found and old knife in a tunnel. They had Craig Gottlieb on to ID the knife, he used to ID stuff on Pawn Stars.

the searchers thought WWII, Craig ID’d it it as a JPK, and found Camillus, New York on the blade. He dated it in the 70’s???

i thought this stamp was post military contract, in the 80’s?

my wife just kicked me out of the house for showing her an example, saying I ruined the show???.

now sitting on the deck with a cigar and a glass of wine?

schmooser
11 minutes ago, mdk0911 said:

Craig Gottlieb is useless 

I have found most of the Pawn Stars “experts” to be lacking, quit watching years ago.

I watched the same episodes.  From what I could see of the Camillus mark, it was made from 1961 to 1967, when they changed the markings to the pommel.  The civilian markings are different than the US over CAMILLUS markings that seemed to be on this blade.  While it was primarily for pilot's emergency use, there are plenty of pictures of GIs carrying them in Vietnam.  As for the "expert" I wasn't impressed either, but the show was trying to build suspense (hype) for the average viewer, not for the folks on this forum.

schmooser

I thought he said it had “New York” under Camillus? Maybe just “NY”?

i looked at an earlier post I had on the JPK thread, was thinking that style.

35E01675-3E35-40B2-A0AA-236B959BD8EB.png

31 minutes ago, schmooser said:

I have found most of the Pawn Stars “experts” to be lacking, quit watching years ago.

Gottlieb takes useless to a higher level - definitely not a fan of his. 

schmooser
3 hours ago, gwb123 said:

Actually, I like the curator from the Clark County Museum.  It's now on my bucket list if I ever go out there.

https://www.clarkcountynv.gov/parks/Pages/clark-county-museum.aspx

Got me on that one, forgot about him. 

in general, I have issues with all the hyped “experts”, especially those on American Picker’s. We still watch it but with a bucket of salt. I sent a comment to them once, suggesting they take along the “average picker” to look at everything they typically pass on. I know I would have a great time!

We went to Vegas in Feb, just before the quarantine stuff started.  The 'Shop" was a disappointment.  It is actually pretty small and I didn't see much of anything (of any genre) of value there.  None of the guys were in the shop, but I didn't expect that anyway.

Was watching a rerun of an episode on cable and saw Rick make a huge mistake.  Somebody brought in a Nichols and Rick handled it himself - didn't call in any of his experts.  The knife itself was right as rain.  Rick told the guy it was phony because: (1) there was no buffalo nickle on it and (2) the Cornish sheath was not original because of the shape of the top profile.  The sheath was absolutely correct.

Poor guy went away all dejected.  Hope he tried somewhere else.

8 hours ago, schmooser said:

Digging for plundered gold on Luzon in the Philippines, the searchers found and old knife in a tunnel. They had Craig Gottlieb on to ID the knife, he used to ID stuff on Pawn Stars.

the searchers thought WWII, Craig ID’d it it as a JPK, and found Camillus, New York on the blade. He dated it in the 70’s???

i thought this stamp was post military contract, in the 80’s?

my wife just kicked me out of the house for showing her an example, saying I ruined the show???.

now sitting on the deck with a cigar and a glass of wine?

What's your problem Schmooser?  Sounds like it all turned out fine for you ??

9 hours ago, Thor996 said:

he is a grave robber!!

2 minutes ago, mdk0911 said:

he is a grave robber!!

I saw that article about what you are referencing about that show in which he was allegedly robbing graves. 

13 minutes ago, Thor996 said:

I saw that article about what you are referencing about that show in which he was allegedly robbing graves. 

yes and Nat Geo had to cancel the series before it was even shown per the outcry from a lot of people and rightfully so!!!!!!!!!

11 hours ago, Thor996 said:

ya think??

4 hours ago, siclfde said:

We went to Vegas in Feb, just before the quarantine stuff started.  The 'Shop" was a disappointment.  It is actually pretty small and I didn't see much of anything (of any genre) of value there.  None of the guys were in the shop, but I didn't expect that anyway.

Was watching a rerun of an episode on cable and saw Rick make a huge mistake.  Somebody brought in a Nichols and Rick handled it himself - didn't call in any of his experts.  The knife itself was right as rain.  Rick told the guy it was phony because: (1) there was no buffalo nickle on it and (2) the Cornish sheath was not original because of the shape of the top profile.  The sheath was absolutely correct.

Poor guy went away all dejected.  Hope he tried somewhere else.

a lot of these picker-- pawn-- looking for gold series is all hyped up crap. entertainment at a cheap level. every body is an expert----------- RIGHT?

The Pickers crew came through Tallahassee years ago, to have a local pawn/antique shop evaluate something.  It was the same shop that recently had an own-line auction offering several Fairbairn Sykes knives represented to be WWII vintage.  I visited the pawn shop to inspect the knives and they we’re absolutely fakes.  Didn’t stop them from selling via the on-line auction for big bucks.  

While thorin6 covered the chronology of the JPSK in post 4, here's some images to go along.  Blade marking for the Camillus JPSK was pretty consistent from the 6 inch knives thru the 5 inch ones through 1966.  A change order came through in 66 to move the information from the blade to putting it on the pommel.  According to Tom Williams, the man that Camillus called their official company historian.  The first batch of knives with the new marked pommel were shipped from the factory in late Dec 66 with the pommel dated 1- 1967.  Some of these knives were assembled with blades they had that had been previously stamped CAMILLUS /N.Y. .  Creating a small number of double marked knives like the example I have shown below.

682443746_CamillusJPSKdualmarked.jpg.e036b0bd4d77c6eea67f21bf37d085e3.jpg

Tom Williams also said that the cancellation from the Government for JPSK's happened in 1984, however you will run across pommel marked Camillus JPSK's dated into early 1985.  I don't have any solid information confirming or denying whether the terms of the contract allowed for the Government to purchase knives until the stock on hand had been exhausted or not. Sometimes they did do that, but not always.  

After the contract cancellation Camillus still made the JPSK all the way until 2006 when the factory was locked down.  Here's an image of the new blade stamp they started using afterwards.

2123002013_CamillusJPSKpostContracttangstamp.jpg.6ceaf17a7fa97773fec085b5d23f403a.jpg

While the Government wasn't ordering anymore JPSK's from Camillus for their supply system, that wasn't the end of them being in the hands of G.I.'s.  Personal private purchase was always an option and the service members didn't have to go far to get them.  Here's an image of a order received by Camillus from the Army and Air Force Exchange Service, AAFES, who supply the PX/BX and commissary services on base.  As you can see this order was placed years after the contract with GSA was cancelled.

528965777_BXorder.jpg.ba6c315c8a4b4d8fb4a42cfdfed9f886.jpg

2 hours ago, BryanJ said:

The Pickers crew came through Tallahassee years ago, to have a local pawn/antique shop evaluate something.  It was the same shop that recently had an own-line auction offering several Fairbairn Sykes knives represented to be WWII vintage.  I visited the pawn shop to inspect the knives and they we’re absolutely fakes.  Didn’t stop them from selling via the on-line auction for big bucks.  

BINGO!

manayunkman

Tall Rob on Pawn Stars runs a LA estate sale company.

Got a lot of good deals from him at his sales.

I have no idea what qualifies him for that show.

collector

I have a JPK with a 2-1984 date on the pommel under CAMILLUS N.Y.. Is that still USGI? I saw in a post above that the contract was cancelled in 1984.

olivedrab1970

Pilot's Survival knife Camillus, I swear it had a rubber handle? What got me is the guy crying over the knife and all the sudden it belonged presumptuously to a U.S. Marine??? 

Robin-

The JPSK's were all over the place, not just with pilots.  Camillus was making the KPSK for the Government before they also added it as a catalog item for the general public.  While the Government contracts were being filled, the knives made that went outside the military were identical.  No easy way to say for sure what path one of those knives took.

A 2-1984 date could very well have filled the Government contract need, 

schmooser

I am still wondering if the knife was planted in the first place? Kind of like the CBS video of a fake Wuhan Flu drive-testing site that Project Veritas uncovered...

if it was me, I’d have planted a JAPAN stamped version?

Doughboy22

I still watch all of these History channel shows (not sure why really), but they'll NEVER actually find anything. Maybe a rusty M3, or an old helmet, but billions of dollars in gold... no chance. I'm sure that knife was planted. All of these shows are scripted.

42 minutes ago, KnuckleDuster said:

I still watch all of these History channel shows (not sure why really), but they'll NEVER actually find anything. Maybe a rusty M3, or an old helmet, but billions of dollars in gold... no chance. I'm sure that knife was planted. All of these shows are scripted.

Last honest treasure hunt I saw On TV was Geraldo opening Capone’s safe ???