Opinions on Possible Navy Helmet

Nickman983

Nickman983

I recently picked up this helmet along with a FS manganese steel rim SB helmet for cheap and wanted to hear some thoughts on this one.

I believe it's possibly a Navy used helmet but beyond that I'm unsure what the paint scheme might mean. There's a yellow triangle on the front that forms into a stripe that goes to the back side of the helmet. On the front it is marked

J-F

U-1

Above that there are some faded out letters. As far as I can make out it looks like "TRE?" with the last letter possibly being another "T"

If anyone knows what these markings might mean or when it may have been used I would be really appreciate some insight!

helmet 01.jpg

helmet 02.jpg

helmet 03.jpg

Salvage Sailor

I'm thinking this is a Repair Party helmet (Damage Control) which has been repurposed more than once aboard ship.  Quite common to reuse helmets again and again in different stations and remark them.

Also note the rust rings, it's been stacked in a shipboard helmet rack.

Many examples here  http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/23767-color-of-paint-on-usn-helmets/

Nickman983

Thanks for the insight! I'll have to dig through that thread again when I've got some time later tonight. I did some searching around the forum last night and found another helmet (in much nicer condition) with a similar paint scheme.

My assumption is that this helmet was likely painted post war, I may grab some NOS crimp on chinstraps to add for display.

“1F” is a Navy Repair locker and is part of the damage control team that spread out through the ship. Not sure of the “UI” marking. I have seen flight deck Sailors use the marking “UI” to denote a trainee. Under Instruction. 

if it were mine I wouldn’t bother with a chin strap. I have seen many stacks of helmets on ships and many, if not most, had missing or no chinstraps. 

Chris

Nickman983

Thank you for the insight, I was looking at the helmet last night and realized it is in fact "1F" and not "JF" as I had originally thought. It's nice to know what this helmet may have been used for.